Tach Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2006, 03:38 PM
71 Chevrolet Nova

Wiki Edits: 0

Tach Question

I am going to buy a tach for my 71 nova. I am looking at buying the Auto Meter Sport-Comp Monster Shift-Lite Tachometer product # ATM-3905. It will be nice to know the engine running rpm's of my car. I have already looked into the actual wiring job and that does not seem difficult, however; I am concerned with the actual mounting of the tach. I planned on mounting it on my steering column. Am I going to have to drill holes to mount it? I woudln't be too thrilled in drilling holes into my steering column. I may be completely wrong about the drilling which is why I'm posting this question. Also, what is the name of the item I need to attach to the end of the wire that connects into the HEI terminal? Last question I promise! Do you guys prefer the big shifts lights, small shifts lights, or no shift light?

Regards,
Dennis

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2006, 05:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

This is not a very good picture because you can't see the bottom of the mount..

But this is a Cell phone mount I got at auto zombie, drilled the plate mount off the top, and installed the Tach Mount provided from autometer..It is in my DD Vette..Corvette has No Room for extra mounting of Instrumentation..so it was a head scratcher..

The bottom (for the stock cell phone mount is an adjustable suction cup..I Filled that with a little JB weld..and clamped it down on the ashtray door..It is going on 5 years now and NEVER has fallen off..Yet if I want to sell the car as Stock, I can easily pry it out..

The nice part is the mount support..Is a flexible metal pipe (like a gas line for a stove) so you can adjust it anyway you want..The wires are run through a plastic chrome conduit ( That Kind of "Mirror the Support" ) into the console, and out to where it all needs to go..So it all plays good when your eye catches it..

Should you need to work in that area..you can just bend the support pipe out of the way, and do your thing , then return it to best visible adjustment.

The Connector you want , I believe, Is called a banjo connector, However if you ask for one and get a blank stare from the Auto Zombie guy..just tell him what you are doing, they should have one to fit..

If not you Can modify a Blue slide terminal, but not a long term cure..cuz, they will fall out over time..get the right one..

If you can't locate one at all go to the Bone yard and snip one off any GM car with a Computer or Tach..it will be the White wire on the cap.,

Shift lights are great in my opinion , if your racing all the time..I quit about 2 years ago..so it really doesn't matter to me For the Type Driving I Do, on a Carbbed Corvette , It "talks to me anyway" so The light is not really an issue.

On an FI, electronic Tranny, I would probably want one..(those stay in the garage..anyway..the carbed are more fun to drive.)

Doc
Old 08-13-2006, 06:11 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

I have an Autometer tach on my steering column. It comes with a base that is slotted so that you can use "hose clamps". I spray painted mine black, and put heat shrink tubing on them so that they would not scratch the finish on the column. It looks very low key and is a clean install.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.