Tach stopped working with MSD - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2010, 04:57 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Tach stopped working with MSD

I heard a repetitive snapping sound from the MSD 6a box which was mounted in the firewall while my car was idiling. My then working tach and my car dash tach now only reads 500 rpm. If I pull the tach wire out of the MSD box they both drop to zero, so it can't be the tachs. My question is,
I will try the volt reading on the tach output which should read between 3 and 5 with the car. But could this also be the distributor, and how could I check to see if that is faulty?

As a side note. during the snapping sound I found my braided vacuum hose from my distributor very near or touching the positive side of the coil. Could this have fried something?
If my cars runs great and is not affected by this, could I reasonably assume it will run until I purchase another 6a box?
Thanks
\Lou

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2010, 07:08 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

there is a forum you can go to to help you diagnose the issue. just type in msd 6a troubleshooting into your browser os search engine and it will take you there.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:14 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

I believe your tach has been zapped!
Old 07-24-2010, 06:14 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Naw the tachs are probably ok he said BOTH tachs are reading 500 rpm so it is more likely the tach output from the msd box. His question was speculative wether or not it would just quit without a moments notice.Good question.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:19 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra720
I heard a repetitive snapping sound from the MSD 6a box which was mounted in the firewall while my car was idiling. My then working tach and my car dash tach now only reads 500 rpm. If I pull the tach wire out of the MSD box they both drop to zero, so it can't be the tachs. My question is,
I will try the volt reading on the tach output which should read between 3 and 5 with the car. But could this also be the distributor, and how could I check to see if that is faulty?

As a side note. during the snapping sound I found my braided vacuum hose from my distributor very near or touching the positive side of the coil. Could this have fried something?
If my cars runs great and is not affected by this, could I reasonably assume it will run until I purchase another 6a box?
Thanks
\Lou
Chances are the vacuum hose ( braided one you mentioned) probably didnt hurt anything although shorting out all that voltage can cause voltage spikes that wreak havock with some components. If you suspect it shorted out re route it a little neater... after all neatness counts at the shows too. something is wrong with the box for it to make a snapping sound. I would suspect it is not going to work long.go to that MSD webpage I told youabout and see if that helps. Good luck
Old 07-24-2010, 08:41 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Is this a new build or a car that you have been driving for a while? If a new build and with some brands of tachometers you will need an MSD Tach Adapter for the 6 series modules. I have VDO gauges and have to use one. See this photo (sorry - it shows upside down ). The adapters are about $59 at Summit and there are two versions:

Dave W
Old 07-24-2010, 09:11 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

The "+" terminal of the coil sees 12VDC nominal. Intermittent shorting the terminal could have caused an ignition miss or degraded performance but probably nothing else unless it was a hard, continuous short to ground- which you'd have known right away.

Don't let form screw up function: Treat the braided vacuum line and ANY braided lines like you would any bare, uninsulated conductor- keep it away from electrical components where there's a chance of shorting to ground or cross communication between circuits.

Last edited by cobalt327; 07-24-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:32 AM

Thanks as always Cobalt.
I tested 4.05v at the msd box and 3.77v at the dist. at idle. I'm lost at this time, that snapping sound at the box is the indicator for something but I can't put my finger on it. I know there is a transformer in the box and maybe diodes and I wonder if the rpm (tach) side is separate, as the car runs like always.
I'll call msd tech
Lou
Old 07-24-2010, 10:35 AM

Thanks guys for the responses.
This combination has been running flawlessly for some time.
Lou.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:45 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Lou, you can send the box back to MSD for repair. They'll contact you w/what they fine before doing the repair w/any charges. Might be cheaper than a whole 'nuther box- if you can spare the car during peak driving time, that is!

INFO- "If you have any questions concerning your MSD, call our Customer Support Department at (915) 855-7123, 8 - 5 mountain time."
Old 07-25-2010, 06:50 AM

I found out that Autogage tachs need an adapter, although some say they can get their Autogage tachs to work without the adapter. Mine never had an adapter and worked . I found out and concluded that it is possible due to minor and different fluctuations in voltage, my tach could have become incompatible with the magnetic output voltage and NOW needs the adapter.
I spent all day at the beach thinking about this . I hope I'm on to something.
When the adapter comes in I will post my findings.
Lou
Cobalt, you are correct, it is prime driving time for my Cobra roadster/dragonsnake. I'll by another ANYTHING at this time and keep the other for a spare.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.