Hot Rod Forum banner

Tacsew t111-155, 3 years later.

14K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  JCAR 
#1 ·
There are many, many "what sewing machine" type questions on this board. I thought I would share my experience, maybe it can help someone else. I started sewing on a consew18 that was acquired through a trade. It was a good machine, but not ideal for upholstery. I found a new tacsew t111 on eBay and bought it from sewing gold. My plan was to sew a little here and there and maybe get good enough to do my own car. I bought the machine because it was new and inexpensive, and it was an "upholstery" sewing machine. Flash forward 3 years...my "here and there" sewing has become almost full time, and the tacsew is starting to show some age. I have had to replace the bobbin case, the presser bar, and the thread check spring. Nothing too major, but all due to inferior materials used to build the machine. Chinese screws break, no matter how gentle you are. I have also noticed that the machine is starting to get sloppy...tolerances are not like they were when new, and the machine is serviced regularly. I assume again, due to inferior materials the machine is built with.
All of that being said, the machine has been good to me. It's paid for itself many times over, and has been a great learning tool. Sewing Gold has great customer service and have shipped me the parts timely for a fair price. I feel like the machine was a good value for the weekend warrior, but anything more than occasional use....consider a better machine. I will be upgrading to a juki 1541 soon. I don't really have any complaints about the overall performance of the tacsew, but I do feel like I have outgrown it.
Just my thoughts...I have no relationship with any of the brands/companies I mentioned....just a customer relaying my experience . Jeremy

See less See more
#2 ·
You are right, the Tacsew is O.K. for a guy doing one or two interiors, but doing it for a living is a lot different. Thanks for sharing. The Tacsew is a clone of the Consew 206, which has been made for quite a few years in China. Even the sewing machine stores will warn you not to buy the newer 206s for that reason.

#3 ·
Like I said , I can't really bash the machine..but I also never anticipated the volume of work I would be doing. If I would have known then what I know now...I would have waited on a good used Japanese built machine to start. Now I am trying to explain to the wife why I need yet another sewing machine.....haha, what can I say, boys and their toys. I used your analogy Dan, about consews being Chevys, juki's being Cadillacs ....then told her i am sporting a Yugo, I think she bought it. Jeremy.

#4 ·
Actually, a Juki would be a Buick or Olds, and a Pfaff would be a Caddy, but if that worked for you, so be it. The Yugo analogy is right on the button for the Tacsew

#5 ·
I agree with you guys 100%. I just wanted to throw out one other thought for new entrees into upholstery. It is probably far better to purchase a quality used machine that has been professionally refurbished than it is to buy a lesser quality new machine. It purchased a refurbished Adler 267 from a company in Nashville for about 800 dollars with table. I spent another 200 dollars for a Reliable Servo Motor so for 1000 dollars I have a quality machine that should run all day every day with limited maintenance.

I am not suggesting that this is a bargain basement price but it is great to know you have a good machine you can depend on and enjoy.

For those who may not know, The Adler is a German machine similar in quality to the Pfaff but probably not as common and a little pricier when it comes to parts. The good thing is I have never needed a part. :thumbup:

John

#6 ·
Sounds like the machine served its purpose for you. I picked up two machines on eBay at great prices - under two hundred each. One is a Singer 111W153 and the other is a Consew 225. Took them to the mechanic for a tuneup just in case. No major issues with either. The mechanic charged me 100 a piece to check, clean and adjust. Well worth it.

#7 ·
Newcomer

I am new to sewing and want to take the plunge on a quality machine, I've heard the German machines are the best "Phaff, Adler" but can be expensive to fix. I am considering a Juki 1541, Consew 206RB5, 255RB3. I like the beefy look and vertical hook of the 255 but it is $400. more then the Juki. Japanese versus Chinese? What would you buy, want to stay under 2K?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.