tail light/interior lights - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2005, 09:11 PM
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

tail light/interior lights

Hey guys,

So im having issues with the ranchero. its a 62 170ci I6. Recently changed over from Gen to Alt.

I am having issues not related to the above switch. Before the switch, I was getting issues using my radio at night. for some reason it shuts off my interior lights and my taillight/brakelights (not the signals) and only one of the signal indicators!.

All the fuses are in tact, and its not blowing the circuts. Also prior to the switch the interior lights would work if the radio was off. but they are all just dead now. If you have any familiarity with a pre 63 falcon/ranchero you'll know that the fuse box is way up in there, and despite being told several times how to remove it, I have not been able too!!!

I have a regular old cd player from kragen in the car. I used the pos and neg from the original radio, and connected the 12v constant to the lighter wire.

I have this "pink" wire under the dash that is running WAY hot, but cant tell what it is to or from . im guessing its the culprit but not sure!

Recently I put in some LED replacement lights, and those blew rather quickly, so I changed one and havent changed the other yet (issue with the light bucket!) but I dont think my light system is a continuos circuit type of system.

So as some of you know. Im planning on replacing ALL the electric with an EZ wire kit. sometime soon. What I'd like to know is how to trouble shoot so I can either do a quick fix, or if I have to drive the car only in the day time!! (with no brake lights!!)

I have a voltage meter and one of those screw driver things that has a clip and a light in it (continuity tester??) and basic tools. Also I have a shop manual but am not able to read schematics, so it may not be ANY use to me!!

any ideas??
Paul

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2005, 09:28 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Sounds like when you turn the radio on it creates a dead short thru the radio to ground..Be my guess anyway..

I think getting the EZ wire and ripping all that old stuf out may be the best thing to do as tracing out 30 year old wiring can be difficult at best..Never know just what has been hashed and trashed under there..

As far as getting those old fuse boxes out I think they are attached with screws so if you can find those you are home almost free other than the part about standing on your head and working under the dash is concerned..Might be good to pull the dash panel so you have more room to work..

Sorry bout all I can remember about those things..

OMT
Old 08-26-2005, 09:41 PM
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich

Last photo:

43 year old wiring!! the fuse box is attached by 2 spring clips, and a button that is attached to the headlight switch. I have seen intructions, I have been told numerous times. but i cant get the GD clips off, and yeah I gotta work upside down with a mirror. If I could get the fusebox out, I think I could track that pink wire. also in the falcon theres no dash panel. you can pull the cluster, but the wires are still behind a plate that covers up all the wires!! plus you gotta disconnect ALL the gauges, which frightens me a bit...
Old 08-26-2005, 09:58 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

If one takes some masking tape and marks the wires like A-A and B-B and so forth then it is a matter of hooking A back to A B back to B and so forth so you get things back where they came from..

And yup after 43 years things kinda get stuck..

Good luck....

OMT
Old 08-26-2005, 10:22 PM
GM Muscle

Last photo:

Paul,

I think the rewire is the best thing but if you want to diagnose it to get by it can be done.

Your hot pink wire does not sound good.

It is either overloaded or has a bad connection. Yes a bad/lose/faulty connection will cause resistance and HEAT. So dont overlook something not securely connected.

Some of your symptoms sound like it could be ground related at first glance but hard to say.

Take your meter and ground it well. Use an extension wire to go to the battery (-) if you can and if not, find a good spot on the body. You could have battery to body ground problems but we will deal with that later.

Connect the (+) of your voltmeter to the positive of the light that goes out when the radio turns on.

Turn the radio on and see if the voltage drops significantly or goes away. If not, you have something on the ground side.

Check back and we will go to the next step.

Try to find where that pink wire goes. If you have to trace it back and cut some tape off the loom to find it thats OK too. But if you cant read the schematic or scan it for us to look at, then do it the manual way.

Rich

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.