Hot Rod Forum banner

tailpipes or not?

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  astroracer 
#1 ·
i have a s10 with a warmed up 283 small block and im in the process of redoing my exhaust. i currently have true dual 2 1/4" and i just bought a pair of 2 1/2" dynomax bullets to replace my old mufflers. the 2 ppes run side by side all the way down the passenger side of the vehicle and the mufflers will be going on a little bit in front of the rear axle. i now have to ideas after i install the mufflers. 1: use no tailpipes and just weld on some turndown tips onto the outlets of the mufflers. im thinking im going to go with this one since it will mean that i wont have to bend the tailpips up over the axle and then bend the left one over so they both come out the roll pan. as far as i know less bends means less restriction and more power, especially since its hard to find someone around here that uses mandrel bent pipes. 2:use tailpipes bent in the way that i just described with some chrome tips coming out the rollpan. if i do go this route im thinking of using a little bigger 2 1/2" pipes for the deeper/louder sound. so what would you guys recommend? what will be the sound differences in these two options??? which one will produce more power/performance??? thanks alot

#3 ·
noise is not a problem to me. these mufflers sound killer and im a believer in "the louder the better", as long as it sounds good of course. im more concerned with the difference in performance and the "tone" of the sound more than anything. any other opinions?

#5 ·
I put a 3 inch dynomax on my 2000 silverado. It sounded just about the same with and without tailpipe. My 57 and S-10 both have turndowns under the truck and they are fairly noisy, but so is my Silverado. As far as performance, I dont think you will see a difference.

Personally, I would do the dumps if it is legal in your area.

Chris

#6 ·
was that a 3 inch bullet that you used turbos10?? the reason i want to do the dumps under the vehicle thing is because ive heard crush bent pipe is very bad for performance and so are bends in general. witht he dumps the exhaust would be pretty much straight back so in theory should perform better, right?? how would the turndowns affect the sound compared to just leaving the mufflers straight through, or would they at all?? im guessing this setup will be a little noisier in the cab but it doesnt really matter to me, a loud v-8 is music to my ears.

#7 ·
It will tend to be a little louder in the cab with the dumps, but I dont think it is much as long as you dump them a little ways back. I have a 3 inch oval on my silverado, and a 3.5 bullet on my S-10. The S-10 is hard to guage because the turbo quiets it downs alot, but it is really not very loud. But then again it is not real loud with just the downpipe either. My 57 is 3 inch flowmaster 40's and it is very loud. I like the dynomax better because they still have the racy sound without the sharpness of the flowmasters.

Chris

#8 ·
I would be more concerned with installing an "X" pipe then using crush bent tubing. Mandrel bent is okay but you really won't see much of an improvement on a mostly stock motor and street driving... especially a small cube one like your 283. Put an "X" pipe in ahead of your mufflers and run your dumps (loud and barky) or put on a couple of 2 1/4 inch tailpipes to mellow out the sound a bit. Going to a 3 1/2 or 4" tip will also help to smooth out the sound.
You choice of course, run it dumped for a while and then put on tail pipes when it becomes annoying. Don't be concerned about crush bent pipes... they will flow just fine for your set up... and they are a ton cheaper too.
Mark

#10 ·
smlblcks10 said:
if i decide to go the tailpipe route would it be alright to use the slightly bigger 2 1/2" ones for the better sound?? it hink i may have asked this before so i apologize if i have. the rest of the system will be 2 1/4".
You MIGHT have asked this before. Let me refresh your memory. I thought this sounded familiar. Probably the most in depth exhaust discussion on this board if you read all the attatched links and info.........

http://hotrodders.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29689

#11 ·
Think about it this way....
Hot exhaust gasses have more volume then cold exhaust gasses. As the gasses cool going through the pipes they contract, they actually require LESS pipe volume to flow the same amount of gas. This is simple physics. That's why the manufactureres can use smaller tailpipes. They've done their home work.
Splitting a single 2 1/2" pipe into two 2 1/4" pipes almost doubles the pipe volume for spent exhaust gasses that don't need as much volume... You could easily use two 2" pipes and not see a restriction... You don't need 2 1/2"s.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.