Tails-n-Antennas? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2007, 09:55 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Tails-n-Antennas?

Does anyone know the story behind racoon tails on antennas? I've asked many old timers and they couldn't remember or did it because it was the thing to do. Even with the vastness of the internet, she like lady luck, has let me down (a possible rockabilly song?).

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2007, 10:12 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

I "think" it originated back in the 20's, I know my Dad did it in the 30's. When I was a kid in the early 60's he attached squirrel tails to the handlebars and rear fender of my bike. He didn't realize it wasn't "cool" anymore, I found out the next day at school..............
Old 02-07-2007, 10:21 AM

Yes, the 'coon tail was a Roaring Twenties fad which existed in some form for the following 2 decades. Ever hear of raccoon coats? These were not cheap but were part of the Ivy League school wardroom for those at the top of the fashion scale at that time.
You could probably google raccoon tails or raccoon coats and find some trivia about them. These days some freak would probably throw a gallon of red oil-based housepaint into your car if you appeared with an animals tail of any kind on a car antenna or windhsield post.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:24 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie
I "think" it originated back in the 20's, I know my Dad did it in the 30's. When I was a kid in the early 60's he attached squirrel tails to the handlebars and rear fender of my bike. He didn't realize it wasn't "cool" anymore, I found out the next day at school..............

Ya, racoons, squirrels, etc. It was a thing from the 20s. Before antennas they hung off the windshield corners of the roadsters. You'll see it in old movies, if you pay attention.

In some parts of the country of the late 50s>60s there was a thing of tying your girlfriend's scarf on the antenna, then it evolved to hanging it over the inside rearview mirror, sort of like the fuzzy dice thing. Now it is beads.

50s bicycles' tails evolved to plastic tassels off the handlebars ends, fit into the holes in the ends of the rubber grips.

Oklahoma Oil Co, aka Enco, Esso, (later Exxon) of the early 60s did a promotion with tiger tails hanging out of the gas filler doors of customers. Some ended up on antennas.
Later, the Pontiac contingent got the tiger tail hanging out of the deck lid of their GTOs. (They were not referred to as goats in the 60s)

It was a marker thing. Like collars turned up, cigarette packs in tee shirt sleeves, leather jackets, .......but for what significance?

The origin..... who knows? The end..... finally just happened.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:16 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xntrik
Later, the Pontiac contingent got the tiger tail hanging out of the deck lid of their GTOs. (They were not referred to as goats in the 60s)
I think you're on the money on everything but this one, they were calling them "Goats" around here when I was in Jr. High in the late 60's (67-69). I think the Ford and Mopar guys started it as a cut down but it caught on and the GTO guys embraced it. Pontiac was pushing the "tiger" connection but on the street it was "Goat". Remember the TV ad where they open the hood on a GTO and a tiger leaps out? I don't think a goat leaping out would have had quite the same impact.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I think you're on the money on everything but this one, they were calling them "Goats" around here when I was in Jr. High in the late 60's (67-69). I think the Ford and Mopar guys started it as a cut down but it caught on and the GTO guys embraced it. Pontiac was pushing the "tiger" connection but on the street it was "Goat". Remember the TV ad where they open the hood on a GTO and a tiger leaps out? I don't think a goat leaping out would have had quite the same impact.

I never heard the term before the mid 70s, could have been the part of the country I was in.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:44 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

The Esso tag line was...."Put a Tiger in your tank" They gave out millions of the tiger tails...........I wasn't just a GTO thing, but I think got connected when the tiger under the hood of the GTO commercials came out.

As for the raccoon tails..............who knows, but I have one hanging under my dash..................don't know why, but there it is.

Budget RVs
Old 02-14-2007, 05:45 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
I never heard the term before the mid 70s, could have been the part of the country I was in.
I never did either!
Old 02-15-2007, 12:20 AM

Last photo:

The "Enco/Esso" mascot looked like Tony the Tiger. The gas stations gave out coffee cups with the tiger head on them. I had a whole set until just a few years ago.

If those tiger tails happened today, some gas company lawyers would be sueing Pontiac. Or the cereal company would sue them both. LOL

Geez how times have changed.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:23 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Highrise
I never did either!
Guess us "Yankees" musta' started that one.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:07 AM

Last photo:

They were calling them goats around here in the late '60s, but then some people would think you were talking about some kind of a Dodge.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:04 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Guess us "Yankees" musta' started that one.
Please don't mistake me for some stereotype Ozark's native.
Sure is warmer down here in the winter , and in the summer.

I was raised in Chicago and had a Mr. Norm's (Kraus) Grand Spaulding Dodge big block Charger brand new. (I was told at the 91 Mopar Nats that it might be the rarest mopar ever built) Just a statement.

I've lived in other states.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:14 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Please don't mistake me for some stereotype Ozark's native.
Sure is warmer down here in the winter , and in the summer.

I was raised in Chicago and had a Mr. Norm's (Kraus) Grand Spaulding Dodge big block Charger brand new. (I was told at the 91 Mopar Nats that it might be the rarest mopar ever built) Just a statement.

I've lived in other states.
I've been to the Ozark's a few times, what's wrong with the natives? Seemed like regular people to me but then I'm from a one stoplight farm town in Western Illinois myself and you know what they say about us! .
Old 02-18-2007, 02:04 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I've been to the Ozark's a few times, what's wrong with the natives? Seemed like regular people to me but then I'm from a one stoplight farm town in Western Illinois myself and you know what they say about us! .
Hey, I was raised 5 houses off original Route 66 before there was an I55. 66 did have a stop sign at Main Street. I think the next town over had one traffic light.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:48 PM
Another crazy plowboy!

more goats

Quote:
Actually the "Goat" moniker could have been a goat eating the competitors cars.

Sorry I had to.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.