take it to a body shop or diy? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2011, 08:54 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

take it to a body shop or diy?

Im wondering what to do about some very minorish surface rust on the fender of a 72 electra. And if I didnt take it to a body shop would diy for a newbie be possible? also the datsun 510 beside it has the same amount of rust in the same places so any info would help me alot thanks. Basic story is that it got parked for winter, then a bunch of stuff got put in front of it then the key was lost so there it sat ever since , shes got a 455 in her, interior is perfect condition, so I was wondering how easy itd be to fix the rust, but would probally have to repaint it? No holes not very bad yet. Reason is that grandma was saying she wants to sell it this summer and possibly the other electra, but she said shed be happy if she could even get $1000 for this one so I said wait, and let me see what can be done to it first, and make it a little nicer. any suggestions? I dont want to let it sit for too long and get worse, but I cant get at it yet anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2011, 09:21 PM

Last photo:

if your just going to sell her maybe its not a good platform to test your skills a buyer would rather see some minor rust than try to imagine whats under the repainted area.

probably also worth alot more than a 1000 if that is the only rust on the whole car and the int is mint.

check your local bodyshops for scrap fenders that have some rot they will give them away for nothing screw them to a saw horse and try to fix them. toss in a few hammer dents for good measure(on the fender not granys buick)
Old 03-26-2011, 09:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud bros
if your just going to sell her maybe its not a good platform to test your skills a buyer would rather see some minor rust than try to imagine whats under the repainted area.

probably also worth alot more than a 1000 if that is the only rust on the whole car and the int is mint.

check your local bodyshops for scrap fenders that have some rot they will give them away for nothing screw them to a saw horse and try to fix them. toss in a few hammer dents for good measure(on the fender not granys buick)
yeah no i wouldnt try that on the buick, but thanks thats why i asked, i guess i shoulda thought about it more, since in actuallity theres 45-50 scrap cars out there lol would it be worth it to take it to a body shop tho?
Old 03-27-2011, 09:31 AM

Last journal entry: 54
Last photo:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=447159. This thread shows using CLR to remove surface rust and it does not affect the paint. then you could buff the paint and wax it to make it look better. That way, like was said, people can see the car for what it is and not wonder whats been hidden. Do not take it to a body shop because it will cost you as much or more than what you are trying to get out of it.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:02 AM

Last photo:

I would see if you can get it running first. If you find any engine problems, you might want to sell "as is".

If she is just going to sell, I would recommend a low cost repaint from a chain store... if you have them in Canada.

If you watch for a sale, Earl Schieb, and others chain stores here, will paint the car for about $400 U.S. You probably can't even buy the paint for that amount!!!

Just pick a color close to what's on it, and then you don't have the extra cost to paint the jams.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:58 PM
More for Less Racer

She's right, she should be happy to get $1000 out of the Electra, it's not a popular hot rod car in the car community. Most folks would look at it as just a good engine/transmission donor car for their Skylark/GS or Apollo.

Being a 2-door helps the value, a 4-door would have very little value, just a parts donor car.

Get it out in the open, clean it up and get it running, and sell it off. Any paint/body work will not pay for itself when you sell it, leave that to the guy who buys it if they desire to keep the car whole and not just part it out.

If you have the time to wait and wait for someone to come along who is just has to have a 2-door Electra, you might get $3000, ...but thats a high estimate in my neck of the woods.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.