Hot Rod Forum banner

take a look @this old...

3K views 29 replies 7 participants last post by  st3gamefarm 
#1 ·
Sears 2-speed buffer.Older than the hills plus i have 2 of them, Is this the best they got out there now!?These are too heavy for me to use anymore. Whats the pros using?or you ?What kind do i buy that is way lighter and has a 2 grip set-up as this does BIG IF. I want to retire these buffers to the red trash can under my work bench. Possibilities if you know of any.of what i need ? any brand.is ok.Thank you for any help bob s

Ps i jus went thru that password game. getting a new one. bout drove me under.BUT I Did it----- finally. Done and hope we don't do that again for a spelL:thumbup:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't think you will find a very light weight electric buffer that will last very long. If you have the air supply, I would opt for an air powered buffer like the one in the picture. The good thing about the air powered ones are you can adjust the speed to whatever you need. Hope this helps.

Attachments

#4 ·
My family thinks i keep things to long.probably do. They don't know how i have built so many Kars. this will help then understand how i got many of the funds it took, to make them smile.They luv hotrods ha ha

Martin sr/Iam thinking i got this when i was in my twentys this buffer- most likely along with its brother of the same vintage type buffer WOW! over 50 years old .Going to look into this air type must be easier to use. happy 4th to you guys bob s and thank you for the tip S10 racer.My son loves S-10s, hes got 6 of them last count.

#7 ·
That craftsman 2 spd Grinder/ polisher was my first too. I was 15yr old and the guy at the shop I worked at threw it in the trash. I pulled it back out and changed the brushes then continued to use it for a few years, for grinding, I wasn't trusted to buff anything.
Variable speed control is THE most important feature.
I hear the HF has a pretty good one but if you do a lot of buffing Flex is probably the one you want. That'll be MY next buffer

#8 ·
thank you DBM this grinder seems like the thing is---going TO FAST, even in the slower speed!.... this sucker flies.Or am i just gettin punchy from age// ha ha

FLEX??/ is this air powered? Are they lighter weight than these 2 behemoths i have? Don't get me wrong,-- these old girls do the job really well but the weight factor...... i need less of . bob s

#9 ·
I have personally never liked the variable speed. I trigger it if I need to slow down. But typically you can find a way to hold it on the panel to make up for anything where speed is an issue.

That's just me. :D

Brian

#10 ·
Flex is the electric buffer with the best body shop reputation, around here. I have a Drill Master from HF and do just fine, the speed adjustment works OK and the price is right. Theres not a great deal of difference on weight in electric buffers, they all have motors.

I do like air buffers for weight, but in my experience speed is more limited than with electric.Anyway-

3" buffers have gained popularity in recent years, check into those as they are handy for small jobs or tight areas. Even the cordless ones are fairly light.

#12 ·
The H/F orbital buffer polisher is on sale at 2 different prices in the same flyer.The orbital ....part of this smaller buffer.As you say. Will do a whole kar with that small -a- buffing wheel on it!

$55.00 is a decent price for me and one or two last "buffing jobs" agree? thanks bob s

#15 ·
I didn't mention orbital nor suggest that a 3" should be used for a whole car. $55 should get a regular buffer with tax at HF. I have only used rotary buffers. Orbitals are for girly detail work by guys who call it "paint correction" but have never painted a thing.

#17 ·
#30 ·
I have a DeWalt variable speed that I used for about 15 years. It still works, but the handle broke, and the replacement part cost as much as the buffer did. :sigh: I was in a pinch, and grabbed an el cheapo at Oreilly, for about $20, and been using it for about 3 years now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.