TAKE YOUR PICK/ FORD 351w or CHEVY 350 2 bolt main - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: Pick between a Fod 351w or Chevy 350 2 bolt main
Ford 351w 18 36.73%
Chevy 350 2 bolt 31 63.27%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2006, 10:18 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2o burner
hey, i just want to see what kind of people we have out there and if anyone thinks like me.
There are ALL kinds of people out there. I, for one, can safely say that I do not think anything like you. Or anyone else for that matter. As far as preference of motors goes, I like windsors. And 350's. My 350 powered 73 blazer has demonstrated as much dependability, driveability, power, blah blah as the 351 windsor in my 69 stang ever did. Just my opinion, SISIW, mikey.

Advertisement

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2006, 02:58 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

block

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottford351
Stock 351w blocks are capable of 440 cubic inches with off the shelf parts and withstand 750 H.P.
There is no comparison to a 350 chevy.
If you have built more then one of these engines you would know that this is not a true statement... Go over to the hard core 5.0 forum and post that your building a stock block 750hp 351 windsor and those guys will laugh you right out of the place.... at 750 hp it will break the webs.... if you find a old 70's era block you might get away with it for awile as long as you never ring it......

How many 750 hp 351 windsors have you built????

Keith
Old 02-14-2006, 05:05 PM
Old does not mean dumb

Last photo:

I will have to backup K-star 100% We have a 351 .030 605 hp and we have the customer pull the pan very 150-170 runs to check the main webbing for cracks up the mains to the cam bearings. The first time it was really ugly!!!
Old 02-14-2006, 06:31 PM
mini me

Last photo:

ya another ford vs. chevy thread ford bashing here we go...... j/k

i chose chevy b/c of the endless parts interchange ability and availability not too minchen the price to build. and also because....well i just love my chevy's

J
Old 02-15-2006, 06:27 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1691
I will have to backup K-star 100% We have a 351 .030 605 hp and we have the customer pull the pan very 150-170 runs to check the main webbing for cracks up the mains to the cam bearings. The first time it was really ugly!!!
Yea my first time was seeing the aftermath of a dyno winning this battle.... It was really odd all the main caps were still attached to the block casting and all still spun on the crank...it was crazy and made one heck of a mess.....

I build chevy, ford and mopar engines. They all have good points and bad... most of it winds up being a preference..... Nothing more...

Keith
Old 02-24-2006, 02:34 PM

Ford or Chevy?

Which one is better depends on your priorities.

Looking at a small-block Chevy, it's obvious that it was designed as a single-carb engine for everyone. On the other hand, looking at the Fords, it is easy to wonder if they weren't pretending to design a naturally aspirated multi-carb race engine.

The Chevy has the intake ports set-up in pairs instead of evenly spaced, so it is very well set-up for a single carb -especially with a single-plane manifold (the runner lengths will be almost the same). Also, if forced-induction is the priority, the Chevy is easier again, because of the distributor location -no crab-cap required or anything like that. If Ford was thinking, they would have put the distributor at an angle like a Buick or big-block Dodge.

Also, I think Chevys have a stronger oil pump / distributor drive. I know one guy that had a couple of distributor drives break on his Ford (too much silicone rubber in the system from whoever worked on it last) while I have never heard of that on a Chevy.

I prefer Chevys because that is what I have standardized on (cheap interchangable parts), but I must say I don't like their thin wall heads much -too easy to crack with propane / brutal driving.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.