taking two 50 chev trucks, and making a 4 door? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2002, 10:55 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Solo,
I am wanting to do the same thing. I hadn't found any info yet, but I have a few pics of extended cab and 4dr trucks of that model. I have a 50 1/2 ton that i am working on, and i have a parts truck that i had thought about making a 4dr truck out of. Let me know if you want those pics.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2002, 11:52 AM
Returning American Maddman

Last photo:

from the movie ,"Field of Screams" If you build it, iut will run. I'm behind you. I'm truck nuts anyhow. I too ran it by my minds eye and got the green light from those little people who live in there. Cheap way to start is buy two plastic models of similar truck, have a quick beer or twelve and start with the glue!
Old 08-14-2002, 12:18 PM

That's a good idea Madd. Since you mentioned it, I begin to wonder about those models. Are they to an exact scale. I mean to the point that I could pull measurments off of it. I have a model of a 1950 chevy 3100, just like my real truck and I was wondering I could pull measurement off of the frame. Let me know what you think.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I am in the process of doing this as we speak!! Tore into my '53 5-window last month. It is stripped to the frame now. I have already extended the frame 1' and plan on cutting the bed 1' for room to make the 2' extended cab. I plan on using two door skins to extend the roof and extra doors to extend the sides. Only need the top square parts of the window frames of two more doors to finish off the filler doors. No need to split the whole door. Door skins are nearly the same shape as the roof sheet metal and a lot easier to manipulate than 2 cabs! Also, two more doors are cheaper than a whole 'nother cab and supplies the window frame corners and sheet metal. The floor will be extended with bent sheet metal - nothing sacred there. I am mounting the 235 to a 200R4 overdrive now but when that is done, the cab goes on the frame and I start cutting sheet metal! I'll take pictures as I go. I'm staying away from the 4 door concept. One, I don't particularly like the look and second, there needs to be some engineering done from the safety standpoint that I am too old and tired to do it!

I saw a 1 ton 4WD version of this truck and it was awesome. As with everything, if it is done right it looks right if not . . . . .
Old 08-14-2002, 01:26 PM

Please take lots of pictures, for this my just save me as well as other lots of trouble. I would greatly appreciate it!
Old 08-16-2002, 04:48 AM

Last photo:

I have a model graveyard from all the mental projects I dream up. It cost very little and if it doesn't work, they are fun to burn! I find that the measuements are close enuf to get a good gut feeling on if things will fit.
Old 08-16-2002, 04:52 AM

Last photo:

Almost forgot! The newest project at the shop is a 65 Ford pick up. It is on a big late model Chevy frame (Caprice or wagon or something) To amke it all work, we need to make up 8" or cut the frame. The owner doesn't want the frame cut so, we are doing this. We are stretching the cab IN THE DOORS 8"! He has a donor cab and so far it is coming along well. It will look stack at first, but a second glance, hold your tickets! We cut the doors first and this weekend we will get the basic cab tacked to fit.
There IS more than one way to fk a goat!
Old 08-26-2002, 10:26 PM

I'm in the process of building a 35 extended cab dually

Old 08-27-2002, 05:32 AM

Looking GOOD!!!! But what's that on the back???, first thought it was a bumper car, now not sure.
Jack
Old 08-28-2002, 04:44 AM

fenderfat,
what kind of frame are you using in the pic? It kinda looks like a 80's model full size chevy frame. If it is, what kind of mods to the frame did you have to do to get the body to bolt up. I have an 86 chevy frame that I intend to put my 50 chevy 1/2 body on. It all looks like it will line up, except behind the engine, where the frames drops down. I was gonna build up the dip in the frame with some metal. That's what it looks you did. Thank you!
Old 08-28-2002, 07:37 AM

Yes it is on a gm 80's one ton dually frme. The section under the cab is the original 35 section welded onto the gm frme thus eliminating the dip and also providing direct bolt up for the 35 cab and front end. And yes that is a bumper car sitting on the back. It's an old steel Dodgem that I'm building. I put a 1940 Ford grill into it.
Old 08-28-2002, 07:42 AM

[ August 28, 2002: Message edited by: fenderfat ]</p>
Old 08-28-2002, 07:55 AM

Last photo:

What a nice rigg! Bumper car is way cool as well. You got that cab looking like factory made!
Old 08-28-2002, 11:46 AM

fenderfat,
After you get the truck put together, will the new model frame be visible. It looks kinda big. I had thought of doing that on my truck.
Old 08-28-2002, 01:05 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Well done! After looking at it, it seems that you could trim off the late model dip on the bottom, horizontally back from the level just below the shock and not lose any strength. Is there anything in the new frame rails that needs to be there?

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.