Tall Valve covers and Finned - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2014, 12:40 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Tall Valve covers and Finned

I have a couple of questions regarding valve covers for an old school build I'm working on. It's my first build in 50 years, buts it's a car that I wanted since I was a young man.
Q-1) Any recommendations or warnings on finned valve covers.
Q-2) Do I need tall v-cover with 1.6 roller rocker on a set of camel humps (not resurfaced) but the block has been decked.
Q-3) what would be the disadvantage of using a tall valve cover if I don't need it?
Sorry for the elementary question but it's a mid-life crisis for me . My wife may shoot me b-4 I'm done with it. I kind of have o measure twice and cut once. Resources are running out.

By the way- it's a Milner knock off.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2014, 01:14 AM
More for Less Racer

Some short finned covers don't have enough height to clear a roller rocker(typically it is the taller rocker nut that is the problem, not the rocker itself).

You can get aluminum spacers that allow the use of short covers instead of using tall covers

Short covers are going to be more early 1960's correct, especially on a Milner-ish clone, and especially curved end (crowned) finned covers or Corvette finned covers. Both of these will need spacers to clear roller rockers. Some straight end finned covers will clear roller rockers.

Tall covers can be a problem with air conditioning compressors mounting on some applications, and with firewall or brake booster clearance depending on the body style....Tall will also be incorrect for the early 60's look IIRC.

No disadvantage to tall in your case except the era-correct look.

Guess what, an example, here is a tall curved end (crowned) cover I just found that might be right up your alley for the correct look, I didn't realize anybody made them :1958-86 Small Block Chevy Tall Finned Valve Covers - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop.

Totally correct for the Milner look would be a short version of this type of cover on a spacer, if I'm not mistaken, been a while since I saw "Grafitti". You'll have to do your research on that.

Here is a short version, Edelbrock says it will clear roller rockers :Edelbrock 4144 1960-86 Small Block Chevy Finned Valve Covers w/ Holes - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop.

Fin count, oil fill holes or no holes, breathers, that is up to you and how vintage you want to go on the look.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:50 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,153 Times in 952 Posts
Eric, I think you nailed it with the Speedway covers. Here's a fair shot of Milner's motor, fairly tall covers, Man-A-Fre 4x2 intake manifold and 4 Rochester two-barrels.....
http://icons.wunderground.com/data/w...y0Byrd/143.jpg

Old 06-02-2014, 08:54 AM

Last photo:

To the OP (original poster):

You have a Man-A-Fre? Pics please! I think "A.G" was supposed to be 1962. My suggestion is to buy some car magazines from 1961-early 62 to get the correct vibe; although that car has been researched to death. Paul LeMat (Milner) is still alive and on the car show circuit; you can usually get him to autograph the car.

One of the things I DON'T like with that car (theres a few)...is the fuel distribution system (specifically the lines). I know that guys did it that way but I'd be afraid of blowing a line off and hosing down my rod with high-octane.

I'd also run more modern brakes; at least a dual master cyl and heavy duty drums/shoes.

Are you using a 283? Milners coupe would have been a 283, although I suppose if he had a friend with GM connections, they could have got a VERY early factory 327 from 'model year' 1963. There were billet stroker cranks back then.

If you're an absolute purist, you will use the road draft tube in the early block, and no breathers; this makes a messy firewall sometimes. If you're an era-correct guy, you can hide a PCV system fairly well and make it look traditionally-oriented.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:43 PM

Last photo:

I got a set of cheap ebay finned valve covers. I'm 95% sure summit, speedway and jegs use the same China made castings only charge more. I have been very happy with the quality. Fit and finish are great on mine. The hardware provided is usable but not high quality.

I don't know of any reason not to use the tall covers, they look better especially when finned.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:49 PM

Last journal entry: New Rev wheels and BFG KDW II tires
Last photo:

Isn't it true that some tall valve covers can cause oiling problems with the rockers?
Old 07-12-2014, 08:46 PM
More for Less Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64SS327 View Post
Isn't it true that some tall valve covers can cause oiling problems with the rockers?
How do you figure??

I know some of the early BBC covers had "dripper" tabs over each rocker stud to make splash oil drop down into the rocker ball pivot area, ...but Small Blocks never did as far as I've ever seen.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:55 PM

Last journal entry: New Rev wheels and BFG KDW II tires
Last photo:

Something I read. I guess what you read isn't always true. Just thought I would ask the experts here.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:14 AM

Last photo:

Polished aluminum is nice but chrome plated is a lot easier to keep looking good.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:07 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Yeah, my old Edelbrocks had drippers on the inside for my BBC, but really never figured they were needed since stock covers didn't have them. I found a set of old Mr. Gasket finned aluminum covers for under $50 on Fleabay for the SBC in my Austin gasser, to keep the 60's theme-look. Took some polishing, but I just screwed them down to a bench top, and used my buffer and some polishing compound to bring them back.
They also din't have baffles for the breathers, so I made some from sheet aluminum, and D&T the studs inside, and loctited them on.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:52 PM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear View Post
To the OP (original poster):

You have a Man-A-Fre? Pics please! I think "A.G" was supposed to be 1962. Are you using a 283? Milners coupe would have been a 283, although I suppose if he had a friend with GM connections, they could have got a VERY early factory 327 from 'model year' 1963.
. I'd just use a 400... looks the same... close enough... LOL! ... 327" started showing up in about July 1961 in '1962' Corvettes... AG movie filmed in 1972 so could have easily been a 400... Movie made on a $777,000 budget... $140,000,000 sales... it was so much like we and George Lucas remembered those days... studio thought it would be a flop...

Last edited by BuzzLOL; 07-14-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:19 PM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

Last photo:

Old 07-22-2014, 08:24 AM

Last photo:

QUESTION: wouldnt the manifold work better if the carbs were turned 90*? Fitment not withstanding of course.
Old 07-22-2014, 08:35 AM
Cars, Trucks, Boats

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear View Post
QUESTION: wouldnt the manifold work better if the carbs were turned 90*? Fitment not withstanding of course.
. Probably don't work particularly well no matter how you turn them with siamesed 2" long intake manifold runner lengths... until you get above 9,000 RPMs... Americans would say don't look right turned sideways... Europeans would say look like Webers turned sideways...
Old 07-22-2014, 08:51 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Since they're open plenum, I doubt it makes much difference which way they're turned. Multiple carbs are always a bit tricky to tune for, and a 4 carb setup requires the linkage to be simultaneous, rather than progressive like some 2-3 carb intakes. The right guy and carb can get them running really well, and make them work even off idle.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.