taller spindles for older F-body car? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2006, 08:08 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

taller spindles for older F-body car?

I have posted a thread about my 71 Camaro SS that I'm updating the suspension using some circle track and roadracing type of suspension.I was wondering about something I heard about at a race track here in arkansas.The subject of the conversation was using Impala spindles instead of F-car spindles to improve rollcenter and bumpsteer characteristics.Has anyone else got any info about this subject?I am going to be using tubular control arms top and bottom and a rack and pinion unit for steering and was wondering if there was a particular year model of Impala spindle that would be more suitable for my application.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2006, 04:01 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

I am not a Camaro expert but I have read recently that using the later generation "metric front clip" is a bolt on and it has much better geometry to begin with.

I have read of using the taller knuckles, but I think they require longer upper a-arms.

One thing to watch for is the camber gain on the street. You don't want your front end looking like a twin I-beam Ford truck.

Bump steer is a situation that must be custom tuned for each specific application.

Sorry I don't have specific info right now. When I find it, I will post it.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:29 PM

You must be talking about 4th generation (93 up) ,because third gen. camaros have a strut type suspension,if that is the case then I think you have to change the whole front subframe ,because the 4th gen. has a longer wheelbase than the 2nd if I'm not mistaken.In that case I'm not sure I could make it work without more modification to the front part of the chassis than I intend to do already.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:21 PM

I recently read about aftermarket spindles for 1st and 2nd generation camaro tubular A-arm kits that use 2" taller spindles to improve the camber/caster curves and roll center.By swapping to Impala spindles wouldn't that be almost the same difference?By using the Impala spindles I can use Coleman Racing Products Impala hubs with 2 piece rotor and hat assemblies and get larger rotors without costing a small fortune and still getting similar performance.I know that the parts I've mentioned are for circle track (asphalt)racing ,but there are lots of options within this group.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:58 PM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Check out this forum...
http://www.pro-touring.com/forum_main.htm
This is a much discussed topic. Do some searches before asking any questions. Your current question has been answered many times...
Mark
Old 05-25-2006, 12:41 PM

Last photo:

You should pick up the lastest issue of Popular Hotrodding. They have an article that's for you. They interviewed Dick Guldstrand and one of the ways to correct camber and roll center is by going to a taller spindle like you said, along with Guldsrtand. BUT what you can do for FREE is what the Mustangers are doing. According to Guldstrand, lower the UCA mounting holes down .75" and back .25" will do wonders. That's what he did in the late 60's when running Z28s. Great article!

I'm not a Chevy expert but a Ford guy. I'f I'm not mistaken, the 71 Camaro uses basically the same front clip as the 67-69's, so the mods should pertain to your car.

Last edited by Huskinhano; 05-26-2006 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:23 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Impala spindles work well wiith that stub. Circle trackers do it all the time because they are limited to rules but need better handling. Speedway motors will have the ball joints and stuff you need.
Old 05-26-2006, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the info.I'll get in touch with them and get the whole thing ,spindles and all.You think that it is a viable option?I intend to use a lot of circle track technology as well as some IROC type of setups.On a different subject (Johnsongrass) have you ever seen a dual shock type of suspension for circle track cars(asphalt) or IROC cars either one?

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.