Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (
-   Hotrodding Basics (
-   -   Tank relocation on a 69 c10 (

CMR 09-19-2009 11:09 PM

Tank relocation on a 69 c10
Hello, new guy here. Actually I've lurked on these forums quite a bit, but this is the first time I haven't been able to find and answer with the search tool. So I decided to sign up. Anyway, I've got a 69 chevy c10 truck and I'm planning to get one of those rear mount gas tanks that LMC sells to replace the behind the seat one that came out of it (what were they thinking?). The tank kit comes with everything but lines, wiring, and a filler tube + cap.

I'm looking for some advice on mounting the filler tube. I've seen people mount it behind the license plate on the rear bumper, but I can't find a kit for this anywhere. I've also seen them mounted in the bed, or under a panel in the bed, but I don't won't to go this route since if I'm hauling anything it could be in the way. Does anyone know where I could get a good filler tube kit? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1ownerT 09-20-2009 05:28 AM

You could try the salvage yard, If you are wanting to go with a behind the plate filler a lot of GM cars had them behind the license plate. Cut the filler tube off of the tank and get the flip up plate bracket. You would need to use the proper fuel hose to connect the filler to the tank.
I have seen some flip up brackets available new from sport truck accessory suppliers, to me they seem fairly pricey.

75gmck25 09-20-2009 09:30 AM

Getting rid of the in-cab tank is a common conversion in these trucks. I think most solutions use a blazer or suburban tank and mounts, which are fairly easy to find.

You might want to post your question in this forum:


302 Z28 09-20-2009 10:38 AM

Depending on how nice you plan on making the truck a common thing people do is have a bed access fuel door. There are firms that make wood slats to re-do the bed of trucks that have provisions for a fuel door so you don't have to muck up the side of your truck with a fuel door..


eloc431962 09-20-2009 11:26 AM

Welcome to the site. :welcome: ,,,,,,,,,,,,Cole

dough88 09-20-2009 09:47 PM

This isn't behind the license plate, but cool ideas anyway. I don't think there is a kit for these installs, but not sure there's a kit for the license plate for these trucks either.

CMR 09-22-2009 01:24 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Those links were especially nice. Basically I'm looking at something custom no matter what. I still like the behind the plate idea, but it looked like the tank might be a little high up for that. I could drop the tank down, but I would rather keep it tucked up and out of the way. I'll probably put it inside the fender well, or in the side of the bed.

1ownerT 09-22-2009 06:21 AM

At one time there were aftermarket tanks available, probably still is. My step father had a 72 with a extra tank added on, the filler was in the wheel well. It has been so many years ago that he had it, I don't recall where the tank was located.

75gmck25 09-23-2009 05:21 AM

This thread from another board should give you some good ideas. Make sure you look at the links to other threads on the board, since there are a lot of pictures.

One of the links shows pictures of a drop-down tail-light housing with the gas filler behind it, which I think is probably the cleanest setup. The consensus seems to be that the license plate filler is too low to work well.

A couple of folks also put the filler in the top of the stake pocket on one side, which would work if you don't need to use the pocket for something else.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.