targetmaster gm block - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2008, 03:52 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

targetmaster gm block

I have a targetmaster 350 4 bolt main block casting # 10066036. I'm wandering if anyone would know if a early 70's 350 head would work good with this block casting # 3973487X? I still need to get a cam and was wandering if anyone could suggest a good cam for this engine? I'm not looking to build anything to crazy just something for a driver i'm putting it into a 71 camaro but would still like to get a bit of hp out of it. The block looks to be bored 30 over everything looks new in it so i really want to use this engine. thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2008, 07:15 AM

Last photo:

what pistons does it have?

Typically those engines use pistons with 12cc dishes. You will need a set of 64cc heads to make any compression (9.2 to 9.5:1 depending on gasket, deck height, et). With this compression you can run a cam with intake duration in the range of 210 to 220 degrees at 0.050".

Other wise, 76cc heads will get you 8.5:1 cr and will limit the cam intake duration to 195 to 204 degrees at 0.050.

Most 70's cylinder heads will be 76cc. So if you run a stock head then I would just use an edelbrock performer cam (204/214).

I would recommend that you get a set of 180cc darts with 64cc chambers, or get a set of vortec heads, or if you can afford it, get a set of 180cc afr's with 64cc chambers. Power is in the heads. stock 1970 heads suck. You can gain 40 or 50 hp with a set of afr over a stock 70 head even with a mild cam.

If you do get a set of aftermarket heads then get a cam with equal intake and exhaust durations. if you use a stock gm head then use 6 to 10 degree more on the exhaust duration as compared to the intake.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:29 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for all the info i would really like to use these heads since they are totally rebuilt as is the block. Just hoping to get out as much hp as possible but i'm not going to be racing the car and with the price of gas these days i would just like to be able to take it for a cruise once in a while. I will look into the edelbrock cam you suggested. One other question i have a edelbrock torker 2 intake i know these were very popular will this work fine with this set up? thanks
Old 06-04-2008, 01:03 PM

Last photo:

Those old torker intakes kind of suck. I would use a stock gm 4bbl intake before using a torker. The regular edelbrock performer intake should work well with a stock or mild 350.

what carb and ignition are you planning to use?
Old 06-04-2008, 01:40 PM

Last photo:

I dont know what carb or igniton any suggestions? thanks
Old 06-04-2008, 01:46 PM

Last photo:

I would use a hei from summit racing. Get one that has an adjustable vacuum advance canister.

If you want power and mpg, then get a Q-jet. However, these carbs are old and require a good rebuilder for good results.

Want are you doing for exhaust?
Old 06-04-2008, 02:06 PM

Last photo:

What size quadrajet do you suggest? i know a guy that has several probably over a dozen and he is really good at rebuilding them. i was just thinking of getting a set of headers and maybe some aftermarket piping from there or getting a local shop to bend some pipe up for me from headers back.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Is this a .030+ over bear block or an assembled short block?
flat top pistons or dished pistons.

Are you looking for a combination that will combine what you have to work with?

The 487X heads are pretty lame in stock form but improve with porting for power. For use with a flat top piston you want to shave them down to get the cr up. (about .060") 68 to 70cc.
Other wise you want a piston with a small dome on it for the 487x heads.

What rear gear is in the car? what gear will you use?
stock torque converter or high stall? what stall?
smooth idle, rough racey idle?
fuel mileage?

More detail on what you have and what you want to achieve the better.
Are you stuck on using the torker II manifold or will you dump it in favour of a much better performer RPM intake?

the torker II manifold needs 9.5:1 +++ compression,, ported stock or aftermarket heads, a fairy stiff camshaft, ( eg isky #201281) high stall converter and rear gearing to work well in a street machine. 750cfm carb.

Reguardless of what else you do, a performer rpm will work much better.
You can find that out for your self by building the motor and then switching to a RPM style intake.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 06-04-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:37 PM

Last photo:

Headers and some pipe work sound like a good plan. I would also install an X-cross over pipe and use some dynomax super turbo mufflers. Small tube headers would work the best for a mild 350.

Just use a regular Q-jet. They're around 750 cfm. A later model Q-jet would be nicer due to the APT feature. The base plate should be modified to allow for idle mixture adjustment.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:21 PM

Last photo:

the pistons are z8222 i beleive the are made by zoelner or something like that. they look flat and have 4 releif valves on them. yes the block is assembled the stuff looks all new there is no cam yet thats why i asked for advice on what cam to put in. the gears in the car are 3.73's turbo 350 i think the converter is stock it has a b&m shift kit in it. i dont have the torker2 yet a freind has one that i can get cheap but if it wont work good i'll get something else instead. i'm not really concerned about gas milage but on the other hand i dont want anything to crazy either somewhere in between. the heads have new springs, hardened locks, and some machine work was done to them. i'll talk to the guy to see what else was done with the heads.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

I like to build these cheapy budget 350's with small combustion chambered 305 HO heads as its a lot easier and cheaper to get a high enough compression ratio with typical flat tops to allow a bit of camshaft to be used.
Do you own these 487x heads now or something that some one has for sale?
The 487x heads will work with a flat top 350 if you mill the decks down a bit to reduce the chamber volume and select a head gasket accordingly.
If you'll be sticking with a stock torque converter, pick a cam with 226@.050 duration or less. Keep the valve lift under .500" for a stock valvetrain.
.450"-.470" is plenty.
if you want to "cam it up" you'll want to swap the torque converter to get the stall speed up. A budget 10" 3500stall is good for a street cruiser with a
"magnum cam"
If you don't own the Torker II now, pass on it and look for a used dual plane hi rise manifold RPM, weiand stealth, Holley street dominator II 300-36

Your friend wants to sell it to you cause they are inferior to other stuff commonly available.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:48 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

For a stock converter use something like this
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...7&autoview=sku

If you will be going with a high stall and want a bit more of a hot rod
with a nasty bad boy idle
use something like this
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...8&autoview=sku
The tight 106 LSA will give it a nasty cruiser/racer idle but the power brakes will still function.
Will have strong power and response from 2800 to 5800rpm.

adding a 2 to the end of the crane cam part number gets you a cam and lifter package deal. on either of these "energizers".

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 06-04-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:29 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for all the info that is very helpfull and yes i do own the heads and i will look for another intake as you suggested. What kind of 305 heads are you talking about i have a set of casting # 14014416 305 heads they are rebuilt new valves 3 angle valve job a guy threw them in with a car i bought for parts a while ago. Someone told me they are useless for a 350 early 80's smogger heads?? thanks for all the help
Old 06-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

"Someone" told you wrong. Search my old posts on preparing using these heads on budget hi perf 350 builds.

You have the right low budget head to work with now.
stock valves size is 1.84" x 1.50". 1.94x 1.60" would be ideal.
These heads need some hand porting to wake them up. Same as the 487X head do. Now you can get the compression ratio up to handle a bit of camshaft and make that motor fun.
The main advantage of the 416 heads over the 487 heads is the small combustion chamber volume. The ports are very similar and respond to simple street/ strip home porting same as the 487 heads do. (if you want some power)
The stock intake valve is smaller. Measure yours. If they were rebuilt, may have included larger than stock valves. A common and effective modification.
You need to measure the piston/deck clearance @ TDC of your motor and CC the combustion chambers to set the compression ratio correctly. (gasket selection)

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 06-04-2008 at 10:59 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:54 AM

Last photo:

Great i'm gonna look into that and check out your posts you have on the 305 heads with the 350. Thanks your a great help this chevy stuff is all new to me agian its been about 20 years i've been playing with pontiac only but really like this camaro i picked up. I'll get the valves measured your right someone may have put bigger ones in they are brand new valaves in there.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.