Hot Rod Forum banner

Taurus fan wiring question

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  va4cqd 
#1 ·
Hello again Gentlemen...

I picked up a Taurus fan the other day for my SBF swapped RX7 and I need some help with the wiring. Well, I don't really need help as much as I need someone to tell me how to do it. The fan came with the electrical slip and some other piece, wasn't sure if I could use it or needed it but I figured just in case...

this is what I got:

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Depends on how you want your fan to turn itself off and on. Some folks will install a temp switch, I have mine wired to a toggle switch.

You should have a it wired to a relay and (I installed) a continuious duty cycle solenoid. These fans use alot of amps to start up, then the draw goes down somewhat. I also have a diode installed to prevent current backfeed after the fans shut down. I have enclosed a schematic. It is for dual fans, but it is the same. I used NAPA P/N ST85SB solenoid. Some people say you can use a Ford starter solenoid, but those are not rated for continious duty. I also used (2) 30 amp relays, one for each fan.

The second one is just for a solenoid set-up. I am sure some will have better wiring schematics, but this works for me. No problems. I will eventually install a temp switch. The first schematic doesn't show the solenoid, I just installed it between the battery and the 30 amp fuses. Painless/Summit has wiring kits also.
Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.