Taurus Hangs Up in Park Position... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2006, 09:42 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Taurus Hangs Up in Park Position...

On a 1993 Taurus GL, 3.8 liter vehicle, I have recently found that I must take an extra hard tramp on the brake pedal to move the shift selector out of the park position. I don't have a manual on the car but assume that there must be some sort of interlock arrangement which requires compressing the brake pedal sufficiently hard to move the shift lever out of Park. Originally just a light compression of the brake pedal permited the move out of Park.

Any clues that someone can provide relative to the devices and locations of what to check to reduce the amount of pedal force to shift the beast would be gladly appreciated. I occasionally get the impression that I might be stuck in Park for ever but one final and forceful hit of the brake pedal gets the thing out of park. My luck may run out eventually if this condition progresses.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2006, 10:08 AM
My wife said no more hotrods..

Have someone take a look at your brake lights when you apply the brakes. If they are not operating then your brake light switch is out (also controls the park release solenoid. This switch is cheap and easy to replace (attached under dash and contacts the brake pedal arm.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:51 AM

Taurus Hangs Up in Park Position...

Thank you for the tip about the brake light switch. That sounds like a good prospect to check out. Since my assistant is out, I'll back up to the barn door and observe the reflection of the brake lights on the door.
awbazar

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.