Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Taurus SHO clutch issue... I know, big surprise...
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2006, 10:14 PM
Caprice/Camaro/BMW

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Taurus SHO clutch issue... I know, big surprise...

My brother's '89 Taurus SHO was bought for $265. It has 106,xxx miles on it and runs great. However, the clutch is a quirky little son of a gun. When you press the clutch down all the way, it makes a noise that matches the engine speed. Not neccessarily a grinding noise, more of a slight paper-like noise.

We thought it might be the clutch cable so we replaced that for a fairly cheap $30. Grabs a little better but the next day, it just doesn't grab any gear at all. I don't know how to explain it... but I'll try. I push in the clutch, put it in 1st gear, and hear massive paper-like noise. I attempt to put it in reverse and it just grinds so I don't put it in at all.

We know its not the clutch cable but it could have been needing a change anyways. So if its not a clutch cable, is it the throw-out bearing? It so definitely seems like it. My brother and my father both think its the clutch fork or my dad thinks its just a clutch job thats in order. He had a '87 Taurus MT5 - 4cylinder w/ a 5 speed - and he had that done with a clutch job for $800 and my mom got mad at him for doing that without talking to her.

Whats your opinion?