Taurus transmission glitches... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2009, 06:35 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Taurus transmission glitches...

On a 1993 Taurus GL, 3.8L with axode 4 speed automatic transmission I occasionally get what seems like shifts when in overdrive...speed 4 when above 55 mph. I have engine code 628 which reads "excessive converter clutch slip" and code 634 which reads "transmission range voltage higher or lower than expected" presently.

Several times I have verified the correct position of the manual lever and it seems correct. I have had problems with the brake light switch which knocks the cruise control out when you hit the brake. I am not certain if the brake light switch triggers any transmission functions and don't have a circuit showing the vehicle speed sensor, etc.

If anyone has a circuit or references to the various inputs which control the transmission I might have some externally triggered issue which would eliminate the peculiar shifting between speed 4 and 3. This car frequently has electrical connector issues and I have repaired several of them on the oxygen sensor #2 and starter circuit. This may imply that connectors all over the car are ultimately suspect. Any clues, prior experiences, or references to transmission controls information might be helpful. Most of the time the transmission seems to be fine including when in overdrive and it is a rebuilt transmission as of about 3 years ago.

This peculiarity has been in place a couple years and seems to come and go with many months of absolutely no observable problems. Occasionally I have dumped the engine codes and checked to see what came up later and generally 628 will show up all alone even when I have not noted any obvious rogue shifts.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2009, 10:41 AM

Last photo:

Thats a tough one. When the trans was rebuilt did they give you a new torque converter? Also, did they replace the electric shift solenoids in the trans when it was rebuilt? Alot of times, the trans will be rebuilt but the original converter and shift solenoids will be used because they "checked" out fine. A bad converter of misfiring shift solenoid could potentially be the problem. The trans shift solenoids are inside the transmission...... the drivers side transmission pan covers them.

There is also the PRND range indicator switch that sits on top of drivers side of the trans that could potentially be bad. Sometimes these can be a problem. You could get a shop manual and there is a procedure in there on how to check the PRND selector switch.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:53 AM

Last photo:

If you plan on keeping the car for a while you can usually find the FORD shop manuals on eBay for a decent price. 92-95 taurus are basically the same car and trans so you could get any of those. I bought a 94 shop manual (the actual paper version) and used it to rebuild the trans in my 93 Tuaurs....so there is alot of great info in the FORD shop manuals.....not the manuals like Chiltons, Haynes etc.

I would check you PRND range indicator switch first.....that will be the easiest thing to access, remove and to check......all the other stuff to check and diagnose will be alot more effort and dedication......unless your rebuilt trans is under warranty :-)
Old 05-19-2009, 01:06 PM

Taurus transmission glitches...

Thank you for the comments, esahlin.

The transmission is no longer under warranty and I believe the entire thing was interchanged with a rebuilt unit thus bringing along a different converter and shift solenoids. They apparently survived the warranty period.

I did the procedure on PRND range indicator from what I got from Autozone.com out of their repair guides (which used to be a lot better than their new version, which sucks) and didn't find anything consequential. That seemed to be ok.

I suspect I'll dabble with the beast as necessary to keep the car going. I suspect I may give up on the vehicle for other reasons before the transmission is the final smoking gun. Your tips will add to my potential future attempts if things go further downhill. Thank you.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:39 PM

Last photo:

I'll look through my trans troubleshooting list in the shop manual and see what i come up with....or anything I think might help you. Its been a few years since i rebuilt my tranny..... so its not fresh in my mind. The reason the taurus transmissions are known problems is because of poor internal lubrication which leads to the internal components and oil overheating and thus wearing out the internals quicker than one would expect. One of the best things to add to your taurus is an auxilary transmission oil cooler. I'm not saying it will solve the current problem nor prevent further problems but its just extra insurance if you plan on keeping the car for a while. However, I own a 94 and a 93 so I know the cars are pretty much valueless in the aftermarket so I know that throwing money at them can seem like flushing the money down the toilet. But I thought I would add in the auxillary cooler tip just in case it interests you.

I'll look in my manual and see what I come up with......I also have the Ford AXODE special transmission manuals and I'll scan those to see if anything comes to light that might help you.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:58 PM

Tranny glitches...

Thanks, esahlin, for anything you may be able to filter from your manuals. I did some searching after your prior comments and found some potentially useful information on a Taurus club site:
http://taurus-club.ru/manuals/ATSG_AXOD-E.pdf

It has diagrams and considerable troubleshooting details. I only scanned over it so far.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:15 PM

Last photo:

Yes that is a great manual .....I used it also to rebuild mine. THe taurus site there is also great.....thats where I started reading a few years back to gain some knowledge about these cars and the tranny issues. there was someone on there who posted a few years back about his process doing a rebuild of the tranny.....and hence thats the post that helped me tackle my tranny and figure out where to buy the rebuild parts.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:34 PM

Last photo:

I looked through my manual and there is a procedure to follow to diagnose the problems potentially associated with the error codes you have; 634 and 628. There is so much information that I wouldnt know how to present it to you on here. Its actually a pretty involved process to check out those codes. If your not able to find anything that helpful in the ATSG manual you found then I would recommend picking up a "Taurus/Sable service manual". I bought mine on eBay for a decent price about $30. I wish I would have been able to help out but there is just too much information in there I wouldnt know how to present it.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:36 PM

Last photo:

This is actually the exact one I have....you might be able to get one cheaper....93-95 are basically the exact same car powertrain wise.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-...sQ5fLiterature
Old 05-21-2009, 04:34 AM

Tranny glitches...

Thank you once again for the comments on the transmission issues. I'll keep the "Taurus/Sable Service Manual" purchase in mind and made a note of it. I have purchased the Helm books for other vehicles which I bought used but on this car, I never had extensive problems and never bought the service manuals. I found that the way that the Helm manuals were indexed and the ways in which the procedures were written was not very user friendly either. I mostly used what I found from the Autozone.com site repair guides on the Taurus. Unfortunately they were not very extensive or detailed on electrical issues or the transmission.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.