tbi to carb... fuel, cam, exhaust - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2009, 07:05 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

tbi to carb... fuel, cam, exhaust

i am in the process of changing from tbi to carb. this is a daily driver. what is the best for the long haul, regulate the tbi fuel pump or buy an in line carb fuel pump and what psi should i have for the carb? the only set of exhaust manifolds i have, that are good, are off of a carb 305 they seem a bit small compared to the tbi manifolds. if i should not use these i will have to buy something. i think headders are to high maintance for a daily driver. should i have any concerned that the tbi cam does not match the carb? thank you in advance for all the advice, Joe. ps i welcome any solutions to all possible problems. this project started out with a "buddy" asking me "do you know any one that would want a good 1 ton truck that has been sitting for about 1 year, it just needs cleaned up and a jump start?" it has turned in to a frame off restoration. the next time i see 2 cans of either in a Florida truck i am outa here. thanks again Joe

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2009, 08:41 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

Wwwwwhhhhhyyyyy!!!!!!!

i won't ever understand why someone would want to go from a tbi to a carb! you are supposed to go the other way. Ecspecially for a daily driver, why would you want a carb? and why are headers to high maintainence for a daily driver, and a carb is not. Are you after performance? Is the tbi junk? I don't understand this. What is wrong with the tbi manifold? If the tbi system is good i would stick with it. You are going to risk gas mileage with a carb. A tbi is an electronic carb, the computer does all of the adjusting for you. What year is this truck. Why would you put a 1 ton truck together for a daily driver? If you are looking for more performance holley makes a tbi that flows 670 cfm. That would boost it a little more. I think and will always think that a tbi to carb is the dumbest thing to do. There is many upgrades for tbi and you will never ever match a carb to efi as long as you are comparing apples to apples. Same size carb to same size tbi. Have fun man.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:43 PM

Last photo:

I recently picked up a '86 chevy van 350-350-tbi.wreck for $50.00.going to install into my project '48 dodge 4 door choptop town sedan, and have been thinking of changing to carb.if i keep tbi do i need to keep all sensors and go with cat. converter? still have all parts .still in van. don't know why i thought about a change except possible brain fade
Old 04-15-2009, 04:09 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I see no advantage- performance wise- in using a TBI. Except cold weather start-up and maybe mileage.

But yes, it needs all the sensor inputs to run right. You don't have to run a cat (prob. should, though- for the air's sake ) but you do need to keep the O2 sensor and run a computer-compatible cam.

Chips can be used in the ECM that'll allow a bigger range of mods, but you're getting into some money at that stage.

You have the where-with-all, engine-wise, to build a good carb'ed engine. This is the biggest bang for the buck, IMHO.

The tranny will need to have an external converter lock-up installed (TH350C?), but otherwise I think you got a good deal.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.