TBI conversion problems - Page 14 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2009, 06:18 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_c10
Ok, as promised, I have some more info. I got no code 44 after bumping the fuel pressure up. HOWEVER, I do not think it was in closed loop either. I did the paper clip test and the light was blinking slowly. I am going to ask my mechanic if I can borrow his scanner tomorrow afternoon. That way I can be sure its in closed loop. If it is I think everything is finally fixed.
That's very encouraging news.

Bogie

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2009, 06:43 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

The news keeps getting better, and thank you for posting your findings. It seems like many other members forget to do this, and most times we don't know what helped 'cure' the 'ailment'.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:52 PM

Not a problem. I also hate it when people don't post back on what fixed the problem. Is a slow blinking light while in field test mode (I think thats what its called) ok? I thought a slow blinking light meant it was still running open loop.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:39 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:

That is 'test' mode 1 1, 1 1, which is 'check' test OK, with no codes. Even after your engine goes into 'closed loop', this same pattern will show up with the diagnostic 'check' connector jumped.

It sounds like to me your plan of 'scanning' it again is a waste of your time.

I feel you have finally fixed it.

Stephen
Old 05-28-2009, 10:08 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:

I just had a remembrance of you switching to a 650CFM throttle body with no Idle air control.

This will require a modified EPROM, which I recommend http://sales@tbichips.com

This is Harris Performance Inc, based in Florida. He has a good sellers rating on EBAY, but a quick email to him directly the price will be cheaper.

When dealing with him, you will need to be able provide, your ECM/ EPROM part numbers, and the basic engine build specifications, along with your type of transmission, and rear end gear ratio. If they do annual, or biannual emission's testing where you live, he will need to know this as well. (he asked me for the exhaust pipe diameter on one recently).

Last edited by carsavvycook; 05-28-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:07 PM

Stephen, I have actually been communicating with Brian ever since I did my conversion. Come time the vortecs go on their, he said he will get me a custom chip. He was the one that suggested vortec heads and a good cam so I could be making about 350 hp and over 400lbs of torque when I am all done this fall. He has really been a great help. He has been giving advice on why it might not have been running right as well. Over all, he is a great guy.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:35 PM

I just wanted to post back and verify my problem is completely fixed. I borrowed the scanner to set my fuel pressure by and I found out things were already near perfect. The integrator is now at 127 and the BLM is at 133. If I recall, 128 is right in the middle of things and an acceptable range is 118-138 right? If this is the case, it is complete. Thank you all for your help. Without your suggestions, I would not have been able to get this figured out.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:50 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I just wanted to post back and verify my problem is completely fixed. I borrowed the scanner to set my fuel pressure by and I found out things were already near perfect. The integrator is now at 127 and the BLM is at 133. If I recall, 128 is right in the middle of things and an acceptable range is 118-138 right? If this is the case, it is complete. Thank you all for your help. Without your suggestions, I would not have been able to get this figured out.
Great! I hope, besides success with the truck, that what you take away is a method of problem solving in a systematic and relational way. That a problem can have many avenues when you look at the symptoms and that you have to eliminate them in an orderly way.

The other big thing goes back to systems again and that is that when you're reading trouble codes, the code doesn't always tell you the problem. Once again it's telling you that what's being monitored is saying it sees a problem, and often you have to go back up the system and into supporting/related systems to find the real cause. This is a whole science called Root Cause Analysis.

I have to hand it too you, you went thru a tough problem and stuck with it. Best of luck to you.

Keep this up you'll be teaching your teacher one day.

Bogie
Old 05-29-2009, 06:04 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:

My past experience with the Intergrator, and BLM both should be at 128, but I am located close to sea level.

Thanks for your final information.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:48 PM

Last wiki edit: Hand cleaner Last photo:

glad to hear its running
BLM and INT should be 128 + or - 6 is what i was taught.
do you know what the final fuel pressure setting is?

sticking with a tough problem and seeing it thru shows character.
there is nothing like the feeling of accomplishment you get when you finally nail a tough problem
Old 05-29-2009, 09:58 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Hunter
glad to hear its running
BLM and INT should be 128 + or - 6 is what i was taught.
do you know what the final fuel pressure setting is?

sticking with a tough problem and seeing it thru shows character.
there is nothing like the feeling of accomplishment you get when you finally nail a tough problem
Kind of like telling someone the project they started in 1973 is finally finished, in 2008.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:37 AM

I will have to check the fuel pressure tomorrow. I figured out why the blm is 133. It ran lean for a while before I got that fuel pressure bumped up so I think thats why it is a bit higher. I think it will come down with time. The STFT was staying steady at 127 so my guess is the blm will end up being around 127 as well.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:59 AM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:

Quote:
I will have to check the fuel pressure tomorrow. I figured out why the blm is 133. It ran lean for a while before I got that fuel pressure bumped up so I think thats why it is a bit higher. I think it will come down with time. The STFT was staying steady at 127 so my guess is the blm will end up being around 127 as well.
You are correct on this.

With both matched your problem is solved! Around here it is 128, but I am at 863 FT above sea level, so it looks like your MAP sensor, TPS, O'2 sensor, and CTS are working, and in agreement with each other.

Happy driving.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.