TBI Engine with Carb - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2009, 08:45 PM
THUG LIFE

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

TBI Engine with Carb

I have a 91 TBI 350 engine that's a good running engine that I'm wanting to put into my 73 Suburban. I don't want to run the TBI set up, but I don't know how compatible the TBI cam in the engine is with a carburetor set up. Does anybody know if the TBI engine with the stock TBI cam will run good with a carburetor set up, or should I replace the cam?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2009, 08:19 AM
Glad To Be Here

Last photo:

The cam should not be a problem.

I assume you will also not be using the computer controls.

If this is correct, you will have to swap out the distributor for one that is not computer controlled. If using an HEI, look for one that has the vacuum advance unit attached.

The computer controlled HEI distributors do not have a vacuum advance unit attached.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:05 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribal
I have a 91 TBI 350 engine that's a good running engine that I'm wanting to put into my 73 Suburban. I don't want to run the TBI set up, but I don't know how compatible the TBI cam in the engine is with a carburetor set up. Does anybody know if the TBI engine with the stock TBI cam will run good with a carburetor set up, or should I replace the cam?
The TBI cam is pretty boring, but is consistent with decades of Chevy/GM SBC truck engines.

If you keep the swirl port heads you will have to get an intake that matches the middle manifold bolt pattern which is at a different angle than pre 1986 engines.

You will also need a standard distributor as the one for the TBI needs the computer for the advance curve. The 73 probably has points and will work just fine.

The flywheel or flexplate for the 91 is unique to that engine's 3 inch crank bolt circle, it will have to be used with your 73's transmission. It accepts standard GM clutch or torque converter bolt patterns.

Bogie
Old 02-10-2009, 12:03 PM
THUG LIFE

Last photo:

Luckily for me the engine in my Suburban is an older two piece rear main block with 87 up center bolt heads, not the newer Vortec heads. It's got the intake manifold, carburetor & HEI distributor I need. I don't know what the specifications are for the stock TBI cam, but what I've seen from aftermarket ones is they seem to be very mild low RPM cams. I will be replacing my TH400 transmission with a 700R4 at the same time & I've got 3.08 gears in the rear end with 27" tall tires, so I was thinking maybe the TBI cam will be okay. I'm not looking to build a hot rod, this is my daily driver so my biggest concern is for gas mileage & reliability.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.