Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Tbi and Feedback quadrajet compatibly
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 09:42 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxWagon View Post
Like I said, I know its a 350. I knew the computers were different, I just wasn't sure if certain sensor inputs for a ccc system could be obtained from a TBI. It doesn't make sense that it could but it that's what the previous owner thought. I wouldn't mind having a properly tuned ccc system, I hear they are great for fuel economy and decent performance when tuned right. For simplicity I'm just switching to a non feedback set up. The engine is temporary anyway, in two years I'm switching to a 4.8 or 5.3 vortec.
Yeah, by the description of the wiring and the way it's running it sure sounds like the feedback carb isn't getting the right signals from the ECM.

I'd agree a non feedback Q-jet carb and HEI distributor will be by far the easiest way to get up and running. Be sure to recurve the distributor. Most times you can use the original weights and the springs from an HEI kit from Mr. G, Crane, etc. Just use the medium springs or one medium and one light spring to bring in the mechanical advance quicker (all in by about 3000 rpm). Be sure the total advance doesn't go too high- all you need is about 36 degrees, not counting the vacuum advance. This is covered in the link above, including how to make a timing tape in case you don't have a dial back timing light.

Good luck.