Are TBI Heads Good??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2002, 06:09 PM

Last journal entry: Doors
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post Are TBI Heads Good???

Im looking to get a set of heads for my 350 engine. Im looking for effiency. And fulies are out of my ball-park in price's. And my manifold wont work on vortec's. There is this set of TBI heads for sale off a 93 sbc with a complete valve job done hot tanked milled the works for $150 a pair. The heads would go on my sbc 350. I know the emmisions heads of the 7o's - 80's are crap. But the TBI's have have EFI swirls in them and the cumbustion chamber that is kindof rounded near the intake and exhaust valves. Are these heads effeint. They are 64'cc so they would give me a 9-1 compression here. I am also not looking for them to be good over 2500 RPM it is strictly for low end power. Oh yah they have 1.94 valve and 1.50 exhaust. I also have small tube headers to use along with it. Any feedback would be great
Will these haeds be good, or are they in the same area as the crap cumbustion chambers of the 70's -80's emision controled cars?

Thanks

Tim

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2002, 11:45 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

w/a 224/230 duration cam 470/480 lift and aluminum intake good for 380 lbs at 3900 rpm and 320 HP at 5300 rpm at 35 degree total timing and air/fuel ratio at 12.7:1, no too bad
Old 09-03-2002, 04:47 PM

Shhhh.....You've discovered a great little bargan that rivels the Vortecs! They are noted for being somewhat crack prone and you might have to tweek your older performance manifold to fit correctly But with careful inspection of the heads, you can get you into the performance head world for peanuts. The best thing is that Gents literally give these heads away not realizing the performance potiential in them. Good show!
Old 11-15-2002, 06:07 PM

Last photo:

im not neglecting your intelligence but are you sure their 64cc's i got a pair of 92's and they sound identicall to the ones you described and their 58cc.--i didnt think chev made a production head over 58cc after 1986 or so untill they brought out the vortec heads.--if they are 64's please let me know because it is a head that am un aware of. but if they are the heads that i have then thy will work wonders if you know how to ort and polish. justsmoothng out the short side in the intake tract and matching the gaskets make these heads scream.--best of luck
Old 11-15-2002, 09:17 PM

Last photo:

the tbi swirl port 350 heads sre 76 cc 191 or 193 castings anything smaller is a 305 head that has a 1.84 intake and the smaller chamber. these heads are not performance heads and the flow figures are not that good. I don't know who started the rumor but they obviously never worked with these heads. Virtually all of the 350 heads are cracked in the center bolt hole when removed from an engine. and have the worst factory finish imaginable.
Old 11-16-2002, 12:23 AM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

Go to www.montecarloss.com look in the parts for sale section of the bullutin board theres a guy with a set of 487 1971 LT1 heads.
Old 12-31-2002, 02:16 PM

Somthing to be aware of is 86 and newer heads have a diffrent intake bolt setup. The middle 4 intake bolts are angled diffrently so you'll need to run a post 86 intake I found this up the hard way, when I was trying to get my intake to fit.

Also #193 heads have a large restrictive bump cast into the intake runner that can not be ground out.

hth

Brandon
Old 12-31-2002, 06:04 PM

I run a set of 87 305 ss-Monte heads (1.87/1.50 valves) small chamber on my 350. All i did was to unshroud the intake valve pocket to the 350 gasket line with great results. These heads do
not the half-intake port blocked as do the 350
heads. Make about 400 FT Lbs torque with a 262
Comp extreme energy cam.
Old 01-01-2003, 06:31 AM

don't always listen to people on a bullitin board. talk to your machinest. most build high performance engines and have been there befor. they are a good place for info. I personaly ask at least three different shops before I make a decision. But acording to general motors they are a 64 cc chamber head. acording to me and two other machinest they make decen't power to 4500 rpm. They are a torque head. I ran 2 engines with the same short block intake and carb. edelbrock performer (one vortec and one TBI 87+) with a 222 @ .050 480 lift cam and the vortec motor walked all over the tbi engine. in the same car. 10.3 1/8th mile times to 9.14 1/8th mile times.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.