TBI Heads on older motor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2005, 12:40 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

TBI Heads on older 350 motor?

I'm having a head problem. Money's tight, so I need to make do with what I have. I have spent most of the day looking thru and searching the posts here. I have a 70's 4 bolt 350 in a 81 El Camino. Q-jet carb, headers, and dual exhaust. All I know about the motor is it's bored 10 over with a "R/V Cam." I have put in a call to the person that built the engine for more specs, to no avail. My problem is that the studs are pulling out of the heads to the point that one valve is destroyed. I can't believe the keeper is still holding it. Castings on the heads are 3973487X. I have a set of 14014416 heads with 194/150 valves and a set of 10120928 with what I read in the past were 193 valves, don't remember the exhaust size. The 416 heads are bowl hogged with 30* cutback to the valves, guide boss cut down in the ports, Z28 .500 lift springs,threaded studs and a fresh 3 angle valve job. The 928 heads are just stock plane jane heads that I did by hand a year ago, with pressed studs. I also have Edelbrock Performer intakes to fit both bolt patterns. Which heads should I use? I thank you all for your help in advance.

Advertisement

Last edited by exmurdoc; 07-08-2005 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Added information and spell check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2005, 05:21 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The 416 heads are 305 castings, and will raise the compression ratio of a 350 considerably. If the heads are worked over, they can make a good stump puller in a 350, but be careful to not raise the compression ratio over 10.0:1 as this is borderline for an iron cylinder head, and can lend itself to detonation/spark knock issues.

The 487X heads are excellent flowing early open chamber designed heads, and would be my choice to use if I could afford to have them repaired. Avoid the late model, "swirl port" design heads if you can, they offer poor flow and are only good in very low RPM engines, and offer little value in a performance application.

My choice would be to keep the 487X heads if you can, and if not, use the 416's but only with a recessed head type piston to keep compression ratios down to a reasonable level.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.