Tbi intake on tuned port block - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2012, 05:02 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Tbi intake on tuned port block

Will a 87-95 tbi intake work on an 1986 tune port block (came out of a 305ci firebird) without slotting any holes. I bought a 1989 intake today casting # 14102182 Rebuilt the 1986 305 installed it in an 1989 silverado the original 89 305 froze and busted the block we towed it from and apartment complex as abandoned vehicle have no history of the vehicle. Rebuilt the 1986 305 and installed it in the Silverado. The original intake off the 1989 was cracked and bought a replacement from craigslist and found out it was slotted. Now I'm hearing that some of the the slotted intakes leak and are differnt angles mating on the flat surfaces (slight but differnt). Ran perfect in the beginning but then began to not idle and run rough. Heard from two people this a typical characteristic of slotted hole intakes at first they run fine then heat up and don't run fine. Haven't ran a air leak intake test yet because I went to Pull a Part and got a GM 1989 Silverado TBI intake today just because I don't trust the slotted one. Changed the map sensor, idle air, and am rebuilding the intake when I change the intake. Anybody seen or heard of this.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 05:27 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoulter1 View Post
Will a 87-95 tbi intake work on an 1986 tune port block (came out of a 305ci firebird) without slotting any holes. I bought a 1989 intake today casting # 14102182 Rebuilt the 1986 305 installed it in an 1989 silverado the original 89 305 froze and busted the block we towed it from and apartment complex as abandoned vehicle have no history of the vehicle. Rebuilt the 1986 305 and installed it in the Silverado. The original intake off the 1989 was cracked and bought a replacement from craigslist and found out it was slotted. Now I'm hearing that some of the the slotted intakes leak and are differnt angles mating on the flat surfaces (slight but differnt). Ran perfect in the beginning but then began to not idle and run rough. Heard from two people this a typical characteristic of slotted hole intakes at first they run fine then heat up and don't run fine. Haven't ran a air leak intake test yet because I went to Pull a Part and got a GM 1989 Silverado TBI intake today just because I don't trust the slotted one. Changed the map sensor, idle air, and am rebuilding the intake when I change the intake. Anybody seen or heard of this.
The 89 TBI will have the center bolts at 75 degrees to the plane of the port face of the head. The 86 TPI may use either the 75 or the older 90 degrees to the plane of the port face of the head as there is a transition phase for passenger car engines right in 1986 time period and either may appear on an engine. You should be able to see the angle of these bolts your heads use quite well, at 90 degrees they will come straight out of the port plane at 75 degrees they will angle up with respect to the port plane.

Bogie
Old 08-06-2012, 06:31 PM

90 percent of the 86 tpi engines had the 90 deg face on the center bolts unless you are lucky enough to get a late model with factory aluminum heads which are rare in 86 about 40 percent were 70 deg however the tpi intakes were wired as a crossfire on the injectors just like the tbi injectors one set of the computor wires fires the right and one fires the left so with a little wiring skill you could run the tpi on your truck without that many mods other than cables (accelarator and detent) and a wiring diagram
Old 08-06-2012, 09:35 PM

Tbi intake on tuned port block

Thanks Guys! I'm installing tomorrow so we'll see how it goes. I have alldata online manuals so I should be able to access a wiring diagram.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.