tbi manifold vs carb manifold with adapter - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2013, 06:05 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

tbi manifold vs carb manifold with adapter

I'm looking at installing vortec heads on my 93 k1500. Engine is the stock 350. I was looking at intake manifolds and the only thing I'm seeing is the Chevrolet Performance tbi manifold that will work with vortec heads. The manifold is just north of four bucks. My question is if I use the performer intake that I have on the shelf with a tbi adapter would everything work correctly? I know I will have to deal with the egr but besides that.......? Talking with my uncle he thinks I might have fuel distribution issues using a throttle body on a carb intake. He said cylinders 1&2 would always run leaner ( maybe to lean) then the other six.

Another question out of curiosity. Does the gm tbi system have better, worse, or the same distribution issues as a carb?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2013, 06:10 PM

Last photo:

Chevrolet Performance Vortec Intake Manifolds with TBI 12496821 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing here's a link to the tbi manifold
Old 09-15-2013, 06:14 AM

Distribution issues with a TBI intake are the same as with a carburetor, but the fuel mixture is more consistent over the range of RPM since its controlled by the computer. A well tuned carburetor can provide equal performance and mileage as a TBI, but the mechanical linkage and settings on a carburetor get out of whack more often. The TBI is good for consistency in starting and running if you use the vehicle for a daily driver , but generally not much performance improvement.

Bruce
Old 09-15-2013, 07:30 AM

Last photo:

I don't care about tbi vs carb. I asked about distribution issues using a carb manifold with a tbi adapter vs using an intake made for tbi
Old 09-15-2013, 08:06 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

General consensus is a Carb Vortec manifold with a TBI is better flowing than a TBI manifold. Drawback is, no EGR for any except the TBI conversion manifold so if you have to pass inspection, you need the TBI conversion manifold
Old 09-15-2013, 08:58 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell85 View Post
I don't care about tbi vs carb. I asked about distribution issues using a carb manifold with a tbi adapter vs using an intake made for tbi
Don't be a *******, that was answered in the first line of his response.

The distribution issues are the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to ap72 For This Useful Post:
FrostbiteRodders (09-15-2013)
Old 09-15-2013, 10:42 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
Don't be a *******, that was answered in the first line of his response.

The distribution issues are the same.
didn't mean to sound that way.

let me rephrase my question....a tbi manifold is designed for use with a tbi and a carb manifold is designed to be used with a carb. so if I use a carb manifold with a tbi adapter will there be any difference with distribution then using a manifold designed for tbi use?
Old 09-15-2013, 12:34 PM
Escaped from Funny Farm

Last photo:

I also have a 350 with a TBI, I have many pals who rave about the carbs, and when I mention TBI they all BOO me. But Ive had some folks say carbs are old fashioned pain in the arse'. I wish I could get a "real" answer and not such a bias view. Not to hijack the thread but can I also get some info on weather or not I should swap it out, is it worth the effort? thanks a million!
Old 09-15-2013, 01:16 PM

Last photo:

the reason for swapping from tbi to carb is tuning and performance issues. I don't see any reason to swap if you have just a stock setup. It's when people start swapping heads and cams and increasing cubic inches, all things the computer probably won't like. So instead of trying to get the computer tuned, installing bigger injectors/ throttle body's they just slap a carb on it.

I think a lot has to do with age also. The older guys grew up with carbs and that's all they had so they know a lot of tricks and some have extensive knowledge about them and can get them to run excellent. Not saying older guys don't know about efi but they know they can make the engine run right by themselves with a carb.

My uncle is this way ( he is almost sixty). You can tell him your engine specs and what your doing with the vehicle and he can build a carb that is pretty dang close every time.
The Following User Says Thank You to crussell85 For This Useful Post:
FrostbiteRodders (09-16-2013)
Old 09-15-2013, 11:34 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Besides the intake, my question is what other mods have been done? If the computer is stock, injectors are stock, then your going to run into a major problem. Instead of better perfomance, it'll be worse. The stock TBI system will not only starve it for fuel, but also for spark advance. This is why I ditched the TBI on my 4.3 V6 When I went to Vortec heads, I swapped it over to a carb as I was not willing to invest several thousand dollars into a TBI system in order to make it work correctly with Vortec heads. Not saying this to be of discouragement, I say this in attempts to spare you the time and expense of a major headache from my own experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleVision For This Useful Post:
FrostbiteRodders (09-16-2013)
Old 09-16-2013, 12:26 AM
Escaped from Funny Farm

Last photo:

I am on the lines of saving money for sure, Ballin' on a Budget over here. On my 88' K5 Blazer, I got a 350 bored to 375(i think my brother said, or 357..damn can't remember)(if you could tell me which ya think sounds right there?) I also have a racing flat top cam shaft he told me! And I have no idea what head's are on it.... Nor do I know the manifold. Stock i might say, Also have racing corvette rings inside the tranny.

In this case is it better to have tbi or carb for my beast?? (i also have an uncle just turned 60 yrs old, an he knows all about carbs an when he saw my TBI, he was like.....bummer for you..) any help would be awesome thanks!!
Old 09-16-2013, 12:27 AM
Escaped from Funny Farm

Last photo:

yeah 375 i think
Old 09-16-2013, 12:49 AM
Escaped from Funny Farm

Last photo:

I noticed some peoples setup was regulated or held back as i look at it because of the emission test, thanks God up here in the frozen land of Alaska I don't have that issue at all. Hope that helps for my specs. Thanks!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:35 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell85 View Post
I'm looking at installing vortec heads on my 93 k1500. Engine is the stock 350. I was looking at intake manifolds and the only thing I'm seeing is the Chevrolet Performance tbi manifold that will work with vortec heads. The manifold is just north of four bucks. My question is if I use the performer intake that I have on the shelf with a tbi adapter would everything work correctly? I know I will have to deal with the egr but besides that.......? Talking with my uncle he thinks I might have fuel distribution issues using a throttle body on a carb intake. He said cylinders 1&2 would always run leaner ( maybe to lean) then the other six.

Another question out of curiosity. Does the gm tbi system have better, worse, or the same distribution issues as a carb?
Using an adapter and a dual plane carbed intake will work just fine. There are racing classes that require the use of a 2-barrel carb and they use an adapter to mount it on a 4-barrel intake. There's little to no real difference in how a 2-barrel carb (or a 4-barrel carb running on the primaries) and how a 2-barrel TBI flows.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:43 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

we started with a stock 350, and now you have a 357 with a racing cam? First off, a racing cam is likely a HUGE mistake, and secondly. What do you have exactly?

Also, what are you using to control it?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.