tbi pickup to get gen. 1 block - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2009, 07:21 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

tbi pickup to get gen. 1 block

i have a 90 c2500 w/ 350 tbi and wanted to swap in a built gen. 1 small block and leave the computer and tbi. plans are to use an adapter for tbi to carb intake. but i was not sure if the electronic distributor would fit right in the older style intake. i was planning on using a performer intake. have heard that some mid 80's camaro's have the distributor i am looking for? then was also not sure if i needed do change anything with the prom in the pcm. the donor block is out of a late 70's truck that has been rebuilt for an old 4x4 blazer i used for off-roading. it has a decent cam having about .490 lift and made for low end power (comp cams extreme 4x4 series) .100 dome pistons and world product 76 cc cast iron s/r torquer heads. compression is around 10-11 to 1. i just have a feeling the stock programming will not keep it running right. i do not have to worry about emissions where i am but would like to keep the engine light off if at all possible. i know this is alot but can anyone help?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2009, 09:20 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

you have your work cut out for you man. What about your egr valve. Buy a an edelbrock performer t.b.i intake. That will accept your egr and you will have a place to mount your coil. You will have to oval the 4 center holes on the intake to make the bolts fit but the gasket will seal fine. That is some high compression for pump gas especially with iron heads. I hope you have a good cooling system. Iron heads you should go no higher than 10.0:1. I would suggest either aluminum heads or flat top pistons with 2 valve reliefs. You are in some luck though. The tbi will be a nice upgrade from a carburator just not a stock 350 tbi. You need like a 670cfm tbi with a 90gpm or gph whichever it is. The distributor that you have should work just fine. You will need to change your stock programming. That should be the last thing you do though. Get everything tuned in as close as you can then get a mail order chip. If you change the chip you could also do away with the egr valve it will just cost you some fuel mileage. I am a fan of the efr myself. I have a 383 stroker and I will not give it up. Unless you build the snot out of a motor and don't have the vacuum to run the egr valve try to keep it. Hope this helps.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:28 AM

Last photo:

the distributor will fit fine. the TBI engine is also a gen 1 engine
Old 02-20-2009, 12:49 PM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Truck.
Last photo:

Well the problem is TBI controls!
If the cam is not a TBI cam you will never get it to run right. Then you will need to have a custom chip burnt and so on.

Last the best option is a replacement injection Manifold from Edelbrock. It is a direct replacement to the TBI and for 900.00 buck a real good deal.
Check out Summit they have It. Also I talked to Edelbrock tech line. So if you go for the Holley tbi and manifold its 800.00 plug bucks tbi spacer and so on.

Injection is a better way to go.

Craig
Old 02-20-2009, 08:50 PM

i appreciate the help, i have been doing a lot of searching through the bulletin board and have found lots of useful tips. did not know after-market intake was available for the swap. also have been looking into prom burning and have found kits through moates.com but am a little hesitant to try programming with no experience in it. i think i will just swap the cam, chip, intake and hope for the best. crussell85 where did you get your chip, and i have found some big block throttle bodies that have been modified to flow more. those should bolt up right?

Last edited by 4wheeler; 02-20-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:56 PM
done learning, done living

Last photo:

i don't have a chip yet i am still in the process of building but it will come eventually. there are companys out there for the chip you will just have to find one that sounds good. I personally haven't looked yet. a 454 throttle body will be ok i guess but the holley i think would be a better choice, but if you have a 454 slap it on. You will also have to do something with the fuel pressure regulator to allow the new fuel pump to pump that much pressure without shutting the pump off. research research research i can't stress that word enough man. it will take longer with all of the research but it is well worth it.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.