TBI Starting problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2004, 08:54 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

TBI Starting problems

i have a tbi 350 truck that i just put together when i go to start it the ecm delays the fuel from the motor for about 20 secs. it wont prime the fuel it wont fire the injectors and turn the fuel pump on till about 20 secs in on cranking it over. even when i crank it for few secs like i normaly would it still wont start untill it cranks over for around 20 secs basicly 3 trys to get it started. i dont know why ecm wont even prime the pump ive replaced the relay ive tryed differant ecm all of them do the same thing. anyone know anything else i could try?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2004, 09:15 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

Last edited by sbchevfreak; 10-27-2004 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:03 PM
Time is short, are you ready?

Last photo:

Fuel Pump Relay

If you look at a wiring diagram for a TBI truck, the fuel pump is also powered through the oil pressure switch located at the back of the intake. (At least my 94' Suburban is wired this way).

Sounds like your fuel pump relay is bad. Not priming and starting after 20 seconds of cranking. Cranking the engine, oil pressure eventually comes up, closes the switch and activates the pump. There is also a fuel pump fuse (20 amps) in the same area as the relay.

Good luck, Ed www.edgesz28.com

Old 10-28-2004, 06:21 PM

nope still doesnt work and power wire is good in both run and start ill keep working with it but i still dont know
thank you anyway that was the first reply ive hard that wasnt really dumb i was waiting for someone to tell me that my tire pressure is low (it has happend before)
if you have any other thoughts let me know
Thanks
Old 10-28-2004, 09:52 PM
I'm not superstitious

Last journal entry: Release catch for trunk lid pt.5
Last photo:

If possible tryin 'hotwiring' the fuel pump to see if it makes a difference. That way you could check if it or something else is at fault.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:17 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Oil pressure is the suspect. Most ECM's require oil pressure to allow fuel and ignition. The purpose was to shut the engine down when oil pressure drops below a certain level in the 15-20 PSI range. If your oil pressure is slow coming up on start, then the feature prevents fuel and ignition. If you look closely, you will have two oil pressure sensors: one for the guage/light and one for the fuel injection. They are not the same sensor and are not interchangeable

Trees
Old 10-29-2004, 06:20 PM

sorry i was worng you were right about the oil pump sensor. the fuel pump relay was good and coming on as it should but the socket its in was bad there was a brake in the wire from the relay to the fuel pump and i found it the socket to be bad. pulled the relay out and the truck still started as it did before so i repaired the relay and now it starts the first try. Thanks for giveing me something to look for and getting me thinking

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.