TBI transplant - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2005, 06:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

TBI transplant

I hope someone out there can point me towards the right answer. I have a 64 Chevy van that I'm putting in a Chevy 350(92), I have a complete TBI system from a 89 Firebird with harness that I want to put on it. The vehicle being as old as it is has no emmisions test needed and I'm wanting to hook it up minus as many sensors and un-needed parts as possible. I've heard that you can make it operable with 4-5 wires and a few sensors, Budget constraints do not allow me to spend 3-4 hundred on a painless harnessany help or thoughts. Thanks for reading.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2005, 02:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

What do you want to know? What sensor(s) do you need? What the wiring diagram is? We need more info.

Steve
Old 06-24-2005, 03:41 PM

Too many spellig errors were in this post.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:43 PM

I guess I don't really know enough to ask but, I would like to eliminate as many sensors as I can just to simplify things, It's coupled to a turbo 350 tranny so I don't need the electronic shift points.VSS? Knock sensor? EGR I would like to eliminate. Park neutral switch, I have a park safety switch with NO/NC contacts is that adequate? and how to power it all. Thanks for any help.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:26 PM
Time is short, are you ready?

Last photo:

Based on my experience and all that I have read over at www.thirdgen.org, I will give it a shot.

The 89' Firebird did not use an electronic trans, but the ECM does control the TCC. That will not be needed since you are using a TH-350. You do not need to hook-up the EGR, CCP (Charcoal Canister Purge), or the AIR (if equipped). You do need to hook-up the knock sensor, MAP sensor, CTS (coolant temp sensor), and you need to install an HEI distributor that is electronically controlled. Not sure if you have the Firebird's distributor, but it could be a large or small cap HEI. Either will work, depending on the harness plug. Since it is a TBI, it does not have an air temp sensor, so that is one you don't have to worry about. You can get by without a VSS, but it may affect the low speed drivability and idle. Most, if not all of GM's EFI systems utilize what is called DFCO (decel fuel cut-off) and decel enleanment. Basically, if you do not have a functioning VSS hooked up, the ECM does not know that you are decelerating. Without out DFCO, it will load up and run very rich. This sometimes causes surging and/or a complete stall when coming to a stop, especially an abrupt stop. Don't ask me how it affects idle, but it does. You would think the TPS alone can handle that, but VSS is also part of the equation. You can get a VSS that will install to the mech. speedometer output from Street & Performance.

Please answer the following questions:
1. Do you have the distributor from the 89 Firebird? If not, we need to figure out what type you need to get.
2. Was the 89' TBI on a 305 or 350?
3. What did the 92' engine come out of?

Let me know, Ed www.edgesz28.com
Old 06-25-2005, 01:44 PM

The TBI was off for a 305, It has the manifold ,sensors,distributor,harness. the block is most likely out of a 92 truck. Took it all apart new rod and main bearings , honed new rings the engine only had about 70,000. had the heads gone through,so that much should be pretty straight. As I said it's going into a vehicle that is a aerodynamic as a cement block but I like the vehicle and just want it for fun. Thanks for this much info.just want to see what I need to have happen to the harness computer and sensors to make it go. Thanks
Old 06-27-2005, 11:46 AM

I did find that auto meter did or does make a VSS adapter it is a 3 wire I have to go to see if my diagram calls for a 2 or 3 ,and if it can it be adapted for either useage? I checked out what info I could get off from JTR and they list a 2 wire without any detail tried calling no answer though.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I would say if you have all the sensors from the donor engine, use them. You can delete the EGR valve, but if it works and you have it use it. But if you don't, plan on using a aftermarket PROM chip or you will get a check engine light. You best bet would be, get a wire diagram and find all power and grounds, and go from there. with all the knowledge here on this board you should be able to get the job done.

Steve
Old 06-29-2005, 10:09 AM

Last photo:

VSS Adapter

http://www.hotrodlane.cc/onlinecatalog/page49.html

On page 49 of the Street & Performance catalog, check out item #2 at the top left corner. The 2000 ppm adapter is for TBI and is $89.95. Both your harness and this adapter should be two wire.

Good luck, Ed
Old 06-29-2005, 10:49 PM

Thanks,for the info the wiring diagrams I have I can't make out if there are 2 or 3 wires it is a 2000 ppm unit I can't tell if it's 2 and a ground or just that it's grounded .I'm hoping the parts wil all arrive the week so I can tell a little more. How are some of the after market setups getting away without a VSS? I've heard they will or can run rich without them. Thanks, Eric
Old 06-30-2005, 05:44 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric64
How are some of the after market setups getting away without a VSS? I've heard they will or can run rich without them.
I don't know about the rich part, but the aftermarket systems (most) are based on GM code. They modify code to eliminate whatever variable uses the VSS. I guess in a way it simplifies the system, but clearly GM incorporated that input for a reason (other than TCC or speedometers). Aftermarket doesn't worry about EGR, CCP and TCC, so they do not need a VSS for that. You'll be better off hooking up the VSS when running a stock ECM, even on a modified engine.

Good luck, Ed

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.