Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - TBI vs Vortec Block
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 12:52 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I only use the Vortec blocks. Some of them do have the complete fuel pump boss ready to go and some of them don`t. I`ve seen them half complete. On my friends block we had to finish drilling the fuel pump pushrod hole and afterwards drill the return drain holes. There`s supposedly a kit online you can buy to completely drill and tap the assembly but last I looked it wasn`t cheap. I doubt there is much difference in terms of core shift and strength between the older and vortec blocks, far as I know the factory has never been very careful on those matters. But I have heard some say the Vortec block is far better and the material is better, but I kind of doubt there`s any truth to this, why is because you can get hundreds of thousands of miles out of a TBI engine just as you can a Vortec engine. I like the Vortec blocks because they have the roller cam and Windage tray. What I don`t like about them is you have to use a Cloyes Vortec timing chain set.