Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - TBI vs Vortec Block
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 04:01 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I`m yet to bump into a 4 bolt Vortec block. I know they`re out there though.
I wonder if my luck happens to others. Last junkyard visit, I found two complete 880`s top to bottom with Vortec heads still intact and here I am unemployed so I couldn`t buy them. Had I still been employed, I would have snatched them both up. Used to be I bought every Vortec block I got my hands on, when I join the world of the working again, I plan to keep that going. On another interesting note, a friend of ours dropped off his truck to my bro in laws shop, he had another engine and wanted them swapped. We removed the Vortec 350, it had a cracked head on the passengers side.
Afterwards, he told us to keep the Vortec engine, so I popped the valve covers off to check the casting numbers, they were the 062`s, interesting was they had "hencho in mexico" on them. I was surprised to find they were mexico heads. When I caught up with the previous owner he said the heads had been swapped before when the truck had ran hot and cracked the heads but he didn`t know where the replacement heads came from. It made me wonder if they came from a dealer or from another source. When I did my first Vortec build for a friend of mine, we had the block bored .030, decked .010, Comp hydraulic roller cam with .215 duration, hyper flat top coated skirt pistons, .043 quench distance. RHS Vortec heads, Performer Vortec intake, SMI Quadrajet, headers, duals with flowmasters, Moroso spiral core wires, pertronix flame thrower coil and module, Fresh TH350, 2400 Tork master converter, 3.42 gears with posi. The results we got shocked us both. Stall it, release the brake, nail it to the floor, the rear goes down, the front end comes up. It pulls so hard upon launch it`s a rush when it slams you back in the seat. It hooks really well to be a stock suspension. wind it up and shift to 2nd and before you can blink your past 65 headed higher. I came up with the combo to be a low to mid range torque beast. And the cool part is, if you keep your foot out of it, it gets the same MPG his chevy colorado 5 cylinder pickup does. Were looking forward to doing more tuning when the weather permits then taking it to the strip to get a time on it in the spring. With a roller cam and vortec heads on a mild combo you can`t go wrong. That`s where I got my belief of once you go roller you never go back.