Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - TBI vs Vortec Block
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 02:48 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My nephew rang me up and said he wanted to go ahead and replace the 2.9 V6 in his 4 wheel drive ranger with a 4.0 he had laying around. I ordered the rebuild kit for the 4.0 and off he went. Within no time at all, he had it swapped in, next we go to the junkyard and get a computer wiring harness off a Explorer SUV. It was around that time he learned, the haresses are not the same, it seems ford changed them every other month. He takes it home and makes the mods needed to adapt the harness. He calls me and says certain things aren`t working, like the radio, the a/c blower motor, and other odds and ends. Since I`m not big on fords I told him the only thing I knew to tell him which was look for something disconnected somewhere. Told`em check the fuse panel to make sure it was getting power. Then after we got off the phone a thought struck me, I had remembered looking at the truck when the engine was out and noticed in the underhood fuse panel, about center ways there was 3 fuses not present. Then it hit me that maybe they had been relocated on the Explorer harness to these places in the fuse box. so I called him back and told him to install a fuse in every open space in the fuse box under the hood. He called me back in 5 minutes happy as he could be as everything worked again. It made it laughable to me that ford made those tiny changes in a wiring harness, I guess one location for the radio fuse was better than another lol.