Tbird windshield installation - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2010, 06:06 PM
Hammer torch chisel...

Last journal entry: Getting there
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Tbird windshield installation

I have a '62 Tbird and I need to install the windshield . The manual mentions the string method but I would like to get some pointers from someone who has been there and done that.
Thanks
Mike

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2010, 06:50 PM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

What I do is use a string about 1/8" thick and usually go around the glass twice with it. Put the rubber molding on the glass first then put the string in the grove where the molding fits to the body. Put the sting ends to the inside of the glass as you will be pulling the string from inside the car.I put a piece of masking tape from one side of the molding to the other so it kind of holds the string from falling out.I do this maybe every foot or so. I remove this as I install glass. Just pull it out as you come to it.I spray a good coat of aerosol window cleaner on molding and string and around the window opening. Set glass with molding installed into opening and pull one end of the string around the glass and the molding should go over the pinch weld as you go around with the string. The reason I double the string is if for some reason it should miss in a spot you can come around again and get it on the second round. It helps sometime to have someone on the out side of the glass to just set their hand on it to add a little pressure to it as you pull the string.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:07 PM

Last journal entry: Box is back on the truck
Last photo:

Pretty much what everyone else are going to say, nothing more to add. Just get in there and do as stated, it is that easy.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:31 AM

Last photo:

I am about to be doing the same thing. Is thier not any need for a sealant of any kind? I have a 66 dodge coronet and when I took out my old gasket it appeared to have some sort of black mastic that was under the gasket. There wasn't very much but it was there because I had a heck of a time getting it off.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:36 PM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

You'll find this sometimes on factory glass or on one that someone installed and had a leak problem. It's not usually necessary
Old 04-28-2010, 10:40 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

factory sealant.

Factory sealants were usually specified to be used as required.. openings varied, rubber was made by different suppliers. a piece of brake line was used for the tip on the application gun, cheaper and smaller than the normal tip. there is a lot of WIKI information in the body exterior section about glass installation. My brother used to install 200 per day. he is tired of looking at cars, sold me his A V 8 cheap.

Last edited by timothale; 04-28-2010 at 10:46 PM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.