TCC error code P1860 in 4L60E tranny - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2005, 05:39 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

TCC error code P1860 in 4L60E tranny

Hi guys Nice board you have here. I am looking for some specific information on a 4L60E tranny in a '96 s-10 blazer 4x4.

I am getting a P1860 error code on my computer. I have changed the trans fluid, replaced the filter, removed and inspected the valve body (everything looked good except the plastic harness holder), and I'm still getting the error.

What I need to know is what should I replace in order to fix the problem giving me the code? Should I replace the entire valve body assembly, or just the TCC solenoid(plus what ever other component of the TCC system you guys suggest), and do you have any suggestions on where to get it.

I had never been in a tranny or valve body prior to today and the reason I decided to go into this venture was the $1750 dollar repair estimate I got from the chevy dealer! Even after pricing the parts. I couldn't see paying $1200 in labor for a valve body change. Especially since I did the same work they would have done in about 6 hours having never done it before! I'm not paying anyone $200 an hour for labor!

Thanks for your help

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2005, 05:54 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

your tranny has a PWM lock up system for the converter. The valve bore in the v-body wears out and sets this code.

TransGo has a kit to replace the worn valve assembly in the valve body. Full replacement of the valve body is unneeded.

This requires the v-body to be removed and worked on. Not really a newbie / DIY job in my opinion
Old 05-14-2005, 06:05 PM

Last photo:

I have already removed the valve body once and reinstalled with no problems. It was a challenge, but nothing too difficult. Is there any way you could refer me to the transgo kit part number or a source for ordering the kit. I'm a cheap SOB and dread the throught of paying almost $400 for a new valve body if I don't have to.
Thanks for your help
Old 05-15-2005, 08:08 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

kit is listed as part number T74165E at bulk part tranny site

the v-body gaskets are not included in the kit
Old 05-15-2005, 09:00 AM

Last photo:

Thanks a lot for the help. I looked at the kit from the link you gave, but it doesn't show what all is included. I just want to make sure I have everything I need before I tear into this again. It was no fun the first time and I expect it won't be much fun a second go around either.
Thanks again,
Chris
Old 05-15-2005, 11:44 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

the main item you need is the PWM valve that TransGo developed to use in a worn valve bore.

GM will sell you a SERV v-body for a chunk of change. I believe you know this already

there is the slight possiblity that the actuator valve bore is the cause.

on the flip side .....Every 4L60/65E I have repaired with the TransGo kit has fixed the 1870 code usually set by a converter lock up slip that is outside programed in parameters of the PCM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotHawK
Thanks a lot for the help. I looked at the kit from the link you gave, but it doesn't show what all is included. I just want to make sure I have everything I need before I tear into this again. It was no fun the first time and I expect it won't be much fun a second go around either.
Thanks again,
Chris
Old 05-15-2005, 02:13 PM

Last photo:

Guess I'll just order the kit and swap the parts to the new ones. Crosley you have been a tremendous help. Will I have to have the valve body reamed for the new parts? or just go with what I have. I am definately a rookie and know I have lots of questions, but I can't learn if I have no teacher, and you are doing a great job!

Thanks
Chris
Old 05-15-2005, 02:49 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

TransGo kit bolts in.

if you deal with bulk part, ask if the 4L60E kit is in an Orange box
Old 05-15-2005, 08:34 PM

Last photo:

I ordered the kit gaskets, and filter today as well as the manual. I hate flying blind and I hope their manual helps some. The cost of the manual is no big deal when compared to shop labor rates, and an added bonus is that I will be able to use it when my 120k mile z71 tranny takes the same dump as the blazer. What kills me is that the truck has that many miles on it with heavy hauling, towing, and generalized abuse and it has never given me a problem (knock on wood), and the blazer has been babied, and at 75k miles it goes poofkaboom. I wonder if the fact that the radiator let go in the blazer about 2000 miles ago has anything to do with it? (left tank was split about 4" between the lower radiator hose and a sensor of some kind)

When I dropped the pan the trans fluid was a nice dark brown, I know not what you want to see

Is there an easy was to install a drain bolt in the transmission pan? Or should I even bother?
Old 05-19-2005, 07:34 PM

Last photo:

Got the transmisson kiy yesterday. Now I know why you said this is not necessarily a do it yourself kind of project. I did get the manual that goes with the transmission though. Its one of the ATSG manuals, and looks fairly complete. I'm gonna read through the manual and the instructions that came with the kit. If I don't feel like I'm up to the task. I'll take the parts to a local shop and let them do the work for me.

Like I said earlier I like a challenge, and I'm not gonna learn unles I do it myself. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Crosley any tips on the kit, and where to start?

Thanks
Old 05-19-2005, 10:27 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

is this a kit in the Orange box ?

Read the instructions to the kit ... twice. highlight spots you need to remember.

In the kit there should be variety of springs for the accumilator valve assembly (that is phyically in the valve body ) depending on it;s code IE: CX , DX ...etc. IF this sleeve will not pull out easily with a hooked scribe after the roll pin is removed, do NOT force it. You will mess up the sleeve , bore or something. IF it will NOT come out , leave it alone.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:20 AM

Last photo:

Yes its the kit in the orange box. I had to read the instructions and go over the book a couple of times to get a good idea of what I'm supposed to be doing, but I think I'm ready to get back into it again. Thanks for your help.
Chris
Old 07-28-2005, 08:36 PM

Last photo:

Well Crosley. The fix didn't help I had a mechanic friend of mine (he works for the LA Police Dept in ther shop) Come over and help me with the install. We even reamed the PWM valve body and installed the sonnax piston repair. I'm still getting the 1870 code. The thing does shift much better now though. I can clear the code, but after a high speed run (speed over 60 or so) the code will come back on.

The only thing we can think of next is to replace the VB spacer plate, and if that doesn't work then replace the entire VB. I'm tired of pouring tranny oil all over the place!
Old 07-28-2005, 10:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Then there is a problem some where else in the PWM system or the converter has a cut seal internally.

Replacing the VB may not fix the problem either.

What is the mileage and history of this tranny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotHawK
Well Crosley. The fix didn't help I had a mechanic friend of mine (he works for the LA Police Dept in ther shop) Come over and help me with the install. We even reamed the PWM valve body and installed the sonnax piston repair. I'm still getting the 1870 code. The thing does shift much better now though. I can clear the code, but after a high speed run (speed over 60 or so) the code will come back on.

The only thing we can think of next is to replace the VB spacer plate, and if that doesn't work then replace the entire VB. I'm tired of pouring tranny oil all over the place!
Old 07-29-2005, 06:35 AM

Last photo:

4l60e

before you go deeper and spend more money
take it to a GOOD tranny shop, let them scan it and with snap on you can engage lock up manual over ride computer. I see this code and fix it with out shift kit, solenoid some case's valve body most the time. was tranny fluid in good shape and color when you had pan off the first time

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.