TCC Solenoid issues with '97 Cavalier (TH125C) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2009, 09:16 PM
sitis nam accelero

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

TCC Solenoid issues with '97 Cavalier (TH125C)

So I've pretty much come to the conclusion that the TCC Solenoid is not functioning properly and is not unlocking the TCC when I am slowing down or at a stop or it is constantly transitioning from unlock to lock. It seems to be causing extra heat with all the added friction and making the water temp go up (as close to 240 degrees!!) especially when at a stop. It will go back down if I put it in Neutral or Park and get the waterpump flowing a little bit at like 2k RPM. When I go to slow down it's almost like the transmission is trying to make the motor stall. Also when cruising on the street between 25-45 if I let off the throttle the car doesn't slow down ... I can cruise with absolutely no throttle applied like the transmission is sustaining it's moment. Even though i'm probably getting hella good gas mileage at that right it only seems to be burning out my clutches in the transmission. Anyways, so I read up on the procedure on replacing the TCC solenoid on my Cavalier and it appears to be more than I can handle with the amount of time available for the next few weeks.

I've got to rent a special engine support fixture, and remove the front driver wheel, the wheel support, transaxle support and shock mount, and a few other things just so I can remove the sidecase of the tranny and replace the TCC solenoid.

Now i'm thinking there are electrical wires to this ... is there a fuse or relay that I can just simply disconnect and not have a TCC until I can get it fixed? At this point it is my daily driver and I need it to get me to work, I don't care about Gas milage I Just don't want this stupid solenoid burning up my transmission. Looking for a temporary fix until I have time to dismantle the whole front end just so I can replace the solenoid.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2009, 02:31 AM

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Wiki Edits: 85

Be prepared to replace the valve body and pump assembly. Valve bodies with 2 switches and 1 solenoid have a habit of getting filled with crud from a pump that is trashed.

If you see 2 switches (and a red connector), you will need to remove the pump and inspect it. You do not need to remove the whole valve body to remove the pump. If trashed, you will need to replace the whole cast iron assembly and pump shaft. For some reason the 1 switch variety has pumps that hardly ever go bad, and they are not interchangeable with the 2 switch type.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:10 AM
Last photo:

I don't know about a 97, but my daughter had a 91 (the Chevy from hell). It drove me absolutely nuts for a couple of weeks. I had convinced myself that it was the ECU that was going bad. I replaced it with one from NAPA and it did OK for about 15 minutes . Then that little light bulb above my head appeared . You dummy, you know what it is. The car was away at college, so I left her my truck and drove the Cavalier 250 miles home. It was fine as long as I didn't have to stop, but then I would just pop it into neutral. Anyway when I got home I jacked up the front end and removed the left front wheel. Right in front of me was the transmission pan. Removed the pan and the solenoid was in clear view. Replaced it and new filter/gasket and fluid at it was good to go,.......that is until the heater core started leaking . I was never so glad for her to graduate and get her first job so she could unload that POS. She decided on a new Saturn and we went up to sign for her. We traded in the Cavalier and the salesman came in after the mechanic looked the Cavalier over. He read off a laundry list of things wrong with the Cavalier and offered us $900. I started to debate some of his findings, then snapped and with a grin said "we'll take it". He said it was going down south anyway (as in Mexico). I said yeah and whom ever gets it probably will put another 100K miles on it and never have any trouble because I have fixed all the problems. I then started to list everything I had replaced on the car and the salesman just laughed and said perhaps he should reconsider what he had offered us for the car . We all had a good laugh and finished up the deal. The Saturn served my daughter very well for about six years until she got married, great little car.

Vince
Old 04-14-2009, 09:17 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

well youre kind of in a tricky spot but for now you could always cut one of the wires to it, until you get and put a new solenoid in it.
ive had quite a few of these do this in various vehicles ive had over the years and also friends etc who have had this problem and i always unplug them and leave them because well they are difficult to remove and replace. and costly after labor and such anyways.

solenoids fail. electric parts dont last forever, its always a matter of time.. and a common problem.

good luck!
Old 04-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast68
well youre kind of in a tricky spot but for now you could always cut one of the wires to it, until you get and put a new solenoid in it.
good luck!
Just unplug the stupid thing, connector is right on the side of the trans

Vince
Old 04-15-2009, 07:46 PM
sitis nam accelero

Last photo:

Sweet, thx guys, i just disconnected the blue plug from the tranny on the front that has 4 wire holes but only 2 actual wires and I am free of this lock-up switch for now.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:33 AM

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Wiki Edits: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewnashty
Sweet, thx guys, i just disconnected the blue plug from the tranny on the front that has 4 wire holes but only 2 actual wires and I am free of this lock-up switch for now.
With only two wires, you have the 1 switch pump. 2 switch pumps use 3 wires. Probably only a solenoid problem.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:29 PM
sitis nam accelero

Last photo:

Well, I think i'm going to trade-in the Cavy for a '95 vette I found on craigslist from a local used car dealership. It looks damn near immaculate. Going in for a test drive and check it out tomorrow morning. Already pre-approved, turn in that damn POS and get myself a real Chevy. With that 6 spd i'll probably get the same mpg as I did with the 3spd Cavalier on the freeway. What do you guys think? http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/ctd/1125483299.html
Old 04-16-2009, 06:13 PM

Last photo:

Unplugging or cutting the wire(s) may not fix the problem with the tcc.
It stays closed because of a sticking nylon check ball in it, not because of electricity activating it.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:03 PM
Last photo:

I believe he said unplugging it took care of it for now.

Vince

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.