TCI 35-40 Ford front boxing plates.. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2008, 05:03 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

TCI 35-40 Ford front boxing plates..

Hi Guys,

I'm getting ready to start the TCI MII front crossmember install in my 36. The kit comes with a set of 3/16" boxing plates that "roughly" fit the contour of the frame horns. Has anybody installed a set of these? Did you weld them onto the outter edge of the exosting frame? Trim them down and fit them inside of the existing frame? I make up my mind, then change it. Any advice, suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Cam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2008, 05:18 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

I always put mine inside and flush with the edge of the frame rail. Some people put them on the outside. Which way will your crossmember fit the best? Thats what you need to consider.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:58 PM

Last photo:

Thanks. I'm going to have to narrow up the crossmember a little anyhow. A buddy that's in the businees claims he likes to leave a little fillet to fill with weld, when he welds frame members together at right angles.

Because the frame is double thikness right there and the two edges don't line up along the whole edge, I'm thinking about grinding back the "proud" edge a bit so that it's flush with the other edge, fit the plate inside but "proud" itself by a bit. Whatcha think?
Old 02-16-2008, 09:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

If at all possible, I like fitting them to the inside, then welding the gap. It is easier to fit the plates to the uneven edges of the frame and then finish grind a nice square corner..

You don't lose any weld that way either.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 02-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I like to bring the plate inboard a little to be able to make a fill it weld.Then when you clean it up,You will have a lot of weld left.Just my way of doing it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	28000  
Old 02-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Certifiable Streetrodder

Last photo:

I usually trim the edge of the framerail so the total boxed area is uniform top and bottom as the instructions dictate, then I weld the boxing plates slightly inside the rail,, so you get good penetration, and have a nice surface to grind a corner on. What do the t.c.i. directions tell you to do?! I normally prefer heidt's cross members, and you can go to their website and download a picture install, but I cant assure you that the cross members are identical in measurement! I have installed a dozen cross members, and can't remember having to trim one if you prepped the framerail as the directions indicate, and have the distance from inner boxed framerail to framerail as recommended by the manufacturer
Old 02-18-2008, 02:33 PM

Last photo:

Last summer, I welded a TCI MII onto my 55.5 Chevy truck frame. I beveled-grinded the frame and the boxing plates 45 degrees at their mating edges. I clamped the boxing plates against the the frame channels and welded them up. I didn't grind the welds at all (it's a driver, not a show piece). I did this, rather than recess them into the channels because A) the gap between the crossmember and the boxing plates would have been too large had I recessed the plates, and B) I felt it gave me the best weld strength. The TCI instructions appeared to have been written by a 3rd grader with no clue. That's the only complaint I have about TCI; their instructions are just plain BAD.

I recommend that you measure the crossmember width, and take this into account when deciding how to proceed with the boxing plates.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:26 AM

Last photo:

Instructions? This stuff is supposed to come with instrustions?? I hear you about TCI's instructions. Thanks for the advice guys. I dressed the edges top and bottom of both rails back to the point where the two layers had the same edge and trimmed the boxing plates down so they just fit inside the top and bottom of the rails. That leaves a nice little edge to get some good weld penetration and a litle grind and end up with a nice smooth radiused edge. That's my story and I'm sticking to it....

Thanks,

Cam
Old 02-19-2008, 12:05 PM

Last journal entry: Hand brake
Last photo:

I did it like this:
Old 02-19-2008, 07:10 PM

I made my own boxing plates for my last 40 ford and welded them to the outside of the frame
Old 02-20-2008, 06:42 PM

Last photo:

On my Heidts, the fit was just right for them on the outside of the rails...one the crossember was put in I had the correct measurements, moving them insode would have left me 3/8th too tight (both 3/16th plates).

I wound up tigging them in to keep a nice look/weld without grinding...on the rest of the frame I inset the boxing plates abuot a 1/4inch and migged them in.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.