Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - TCI Streetfighter rated HP use
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2004, 01:56 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

TCI Streetfighter rated HP use

I am interested in purchasing a TCI Streetfighter th-350 tranny http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...06&prmenbr=361 . It is rated for non-supercharged or nitrous engines making less that 450hp. I have a 72 Nova that has a sbc 350. I think it's probably making somewhere between 300-400hp. In the distant future, my plans are to install a blown 454 on my Nova. I plan on making somewhere between 450-550hp. I don't plan on racing it much, maybe once or twice a year, just mainly a weekend driver.

Do you guys think that tranny will handle it if I don't abuse it or what tranny would you recommend and were can I purchase it? I have read that people install blowers on there Iroc's and using the stock tranny with no problems. I have a budget of $800, any ideas? I also noticed that TCI sells the same tranny with 2.75 (1st gear) for $300 more. I currently have 3.75 rearend, would the $300 more tranny be worth it or should I not bother and why? What is the big deal about having that for a first gear? One more thing, what would be a recommended torque converter (stall speed) for my current and future application?