TCI tranny noise ??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2005, 11:16 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

TCI tranny noise ???

Hi, Just got my 53 chevy running about 2 weeks ago, put a 350 crate motor and a tci transmission,everything runs great, my question is When you go to take off or start to slow down to come to a stop I could here a banging noise sounds like if you hit the side of the transmission with a ball peaned hammer, I called TCI and they told me the noise was normal something about some spring affair that stock trannys have that they remove??? But I have learned from experience that depending who you talk to at a company will determine the answer you get. I never ran a TCI transmission so I dont know if this is normal. It's funny I was at a car show and a mach 1 mustang went by me and the car made the same noise, unfortately i was leaving and he was going to fast for me to catch up to him. any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2005, 06:14 PM

Last photo:

I spoke to TCI yesterday and they told me that they remove what is called the anti-clunk spring and replace it with what they call a case saver which possiblably wasnt installed during the rebuild the unforate part for me is the tranny is just out of warranty by a few months so I have to call them tomorrow and see if they are going to help me out. I purchased the tranny from summit but they told me that even though I bought it from them TCI handles there own warranty. With a 90 day warranty on these parts doesnt give you much time to put your car together and find out problems like this. Supposely TCI dynos all there trannys and if something like this goes unnoticed I doubt I will be doing business with them again.I'll let you's know how I make out after I speak to them tomorrow.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:20 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

I do not see what tranny ( t-350 , t-400 , t-700) we are talking about?

The only time I have ever removed the spring from a center support ( t-350 , t-700) and used a case saver is when the internal case lugs are worn out. IF they are using a single piece case saver , that design puts stress in one spot on the center support and can split it over time.

There are different designs of case savers , a full plate type and a 4 piece design.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:10 PM

Last photo:

Hi Crosley, the transmission is a turbo 350

I spoke to the warranty manager at TCI and he asked me what the problem was with the tranny and I told him what it was doing ,making the banging noise when I put it into drive and when coming up to a traffic light just as I am starting to stop you hear the same noise sounds like your hitting the side of the tranny with a hammer, anyway he told me that the noise is normal thing because when they build there street and strip transmissions they remove the spring and install case savers, he said the noise could vary from one tranny to another,and that it is not a problem,

So I went to a transmission shop today and let the guy listen to the noise without telling him what TCI had said, and he told me that it sounds like they had installed case savers and removed the factory anti-clunk spring and showed me the actual parts and showed me how they work.

In your opinion is this normal procedure? Do transmission rebuilers always take out that spring? Or is it just taken out when the case is worn out on the transmission?
Old 09-30-2005, 09:15 PM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

I used to work at a tranny shop and our builder was showing me the case saver and why he didn't like them. He would only use them on a must use basis. I personally didn't see why they were not good but he was dead set against using them going so far as getting a different case if possible. If I'm not mistaken though, they are only supposed to clunk when you first put them in gear. Yours may be downshifting funny causing this when pulling up to a light? ...but I'm no expert, just telling you what little I know.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:55 PM

Last photo:

Hey NXS, thanks for the reply. I quess is what I am trying to find out is are these case savers a "Band-Aid" or something they add when building a street strip tranny to make it "stronger" ?

Thanks for the reply, Dave
Old 10-01-2005, 08:07 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

As I mentioned , I only use them when a case is bad. The single piece that inserts in place of the spring can cause the center support to split/crack. I've seen a several times over the years.

There is a 4 piece design that reqires some machine work on the center support to install , more labor to use.

There is a center support & plate design. The center support is drilled / tapped. The plate sits on top & into the lugs. Bolts to the center support. We use these on trans-brake units normally
Old 10-01-2005, 01:30 PM
Blowin' it

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Running again...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I am running a TCI Streetfighter TH400, and do not have this problem. So far so good, no noises and shifts great.

Jason
Old 10-02-2005, 08:59 PM

Last photo:

Thanks everybody for your replys. Quess I will keep on driving and see how it goes.

You could put a bushel of apples in front of me and I will always get the one with the worm in it every time.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.