Hot Rod Forum banner

tcp global restoration shop grays

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  jcclark 
#1 ·
Has anybody used the tcp auto shop grays,I know they have a Mesa gray,dove gray&machinery gray in a ss au kit.
Its kind of hard from the sample pic its hard to make out what they will look like.Anybody ever used any of these&by chance got some pics?
Thanks fellas

#3 ·
Just go to your local paint store for materials, you'll be supporting a local business and have local support when you have issues. BC/CC is actually cheaper than SS urethane because you're spraying the base to achieve coverage and then clearing to achieve your shine. Clear is cheaper per gallon than SS Urethane. Maybe check a Slo Reilly for a factory pack single stage, it should include, color, reducer and activator. It'll be Nason but you can actually see what the color should look like. If you go BC/CC and want to buy local and be fairly cheap, use Nason or Omni Basecoat and Nason 497-00 clear (3:1) mix. I've found a clear I really like at Southern Polyurethanes, it's their Universal clear and I prefer it over all other clear. I have to order it in but it's worth it for the end result, it's about 250.00 for two gallons of sprayable clear.

#4 ·
I live like 60 miles from the city&the closest jobber Ive been to is a real d bag.He has anbatritude all the time&hes always telling ya lies.Anway for all of the stuff for what I need in a ss from his shop was about 300&for bc/cc its almost 500.The tcp global stuff is ls like 100 bucks

#5 ·
If you go TCP Global, get a primer that is either tintable or a couple cans of white or grey and black primer you can mix together to get a color that approximates your intended color. Take a picture of the intended color and print it in black and white, blow it up and mix your primer colors to match the black and white picture. TCP Global has super thin colors from what I've heard and my one experience with it. I've used their stuff once on a semi for a dude and it sucked, he bought all the supplies from them and I ended up getting some Chromabase to complete the job. Four coats of a solid color and it still didn't cover. That's when I discovered tintable sealer/primer.

#10 ·
I can get Kirker brand urethane in any of their many colors,
including reds, for under $100.00 a gallon including activator.
I've used it many times and it holds up fine.
There's no base/clear on the market that cheap.
Most basecoats are more than that alone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.