Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - TDC location question
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 02:46 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

TDC location question

OK guys... This one has me stumped, maybe its because im working 12hr nights but I cant get this in my head for some reason.

Long story short, my sbc 364ci bracket car likes a lot of timing, i mean like 40+ total. I was thinking maybe i should verify TDC to make sure my tab and balancer are correct, so I started looking at findind TDC with a piston stop.

Everything I read says with rockers off of #1 rotate engine clockwise on compression stroke until piston hits the stop, then rotate counter clockwise until it hits again, divide the amount of degrese between them by 2 and thats TDC. What im missing is isnt that a full 360 degrese of rotation from where it hits to where it hits again? Which would always be 180 degrese? Also my brain is saying piston is no where near the top if I divide by 2 between the times it hits...

What am I missing, guys? I just want to verify balancer and tab are correct. Balancer has tape. I know im missing something simple, but cant figure it out.