teapot secondary flooding - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2012, 11:12 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

teapot secondary flooding

Hi Guys,need help on a 56 holly teapot problem. The carb was rebuilt .After install it would start and barely idle with fuel running in the secondaries and the plates were closed. Installed a regulator on the pump and problem changed to flooding after wide open throttle With gas running into the secondaries and the plates in closed position. Leave it sit and the gas drains out then the cycle stars over. Let it idle, its OK, then give it throttle and manually open secondaries for a second and the fuel won't start flowing into the secondaries. Fuel pressure sitting at about 3 Lbs. Help John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 03:48 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

John - is there a reason that you need to keep this dog of a carb? There is a reason that many Ford owners called it a 'towering inferno'. A Carter WCFB will bolt directly in its place or another choice, a '57 intake with a 'square bore' which a Holley or Edelbrock can then be used. Of course there are after market intakes. If you need really that carb for authenticity/matching numbers, then the normal things need to be checked - float level a AND drop(seldom checked, I've found). Next and my long term recollection was that there are 2-3 ball check valves in these carbs, and at least one that has a brass weight holding the ball in place - are they all in their correct place or even there? As far as drain back - some might be after boil from engine heat as current gas, 10-15% ethanol boils at a lower temperature. Fuel pressure, 5-6 pounds would be my guesstimate for closer to normal
Old 05-14-2012, 05:16 PM

teapot secondary flooding

Thanks for the reply, and yes I have heard a lot of stories about this carb. Will look for a WCFB, Hope it will fit and I don't have a height problem with the hood clearence on the 56 tbird. After I read your response I thought I should have metioned that it seems to me that after the secondaries are opened and then closed and the fuel keeps running out of the secondaries even with motor off, that it appears to be siphoning the fuel out of the bowl somewhat like a hose in a gas tank. Yes I checked for the 2 balls in the two fuel passages. don't see any weight or springs showing in the drawing. Onced again thanks for the response and info. You guys have always answered my questions. I have told my wife I may head to Arizona and look for a 57 and parts like you mentioned. JP
Old 05-15-2012, 10:24 AM

tea pot siphoning

To Irelands child and all. Siphoning of tea pot issue solved. Inspected high speed secondary air bleeds and found one partially closed and the second totally closed. Cleaned both, problem solved. JP
Old 05-15-2012, 04:53 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pepper
To Irelands child and all. Siphoning of tea pot issue solved. Inspected high speed secondary air bleeds and found one partially closed and the second totally closed. Cleaned both, problem solved. JP
Glad that you found a quick fix. Why not keep your options open though for a more up to date intake and carb and if the issue reappears (and historically with those carbs, it probably will) then you can make a change which will help performance and might even improve your gas mileage.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:27 PM

I plan on doing just that, and save the old tech parts for a buyer who wants period correct. Thanks JP

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.