Technical Electronics Layout Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2010, 04:10 PM
406cu.in. of tire smokin' fun

Last journal entry: 406 Build Thread
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Technical Electronics Layout Question

I am working on an LED project for my tail lights. I got a bunch of LED 3rd brake lights from the junk yard and I am going to adapt them into my standard tail lights.

When I pulled the lights apart to get to the circuit board inside, I noticed a couple of things. Each board has 16 LEDs. The board also has resistors, which would step the voltage down to work with the LEDs. The board also has a capacitor and some diodes. What would these be for? Capacitors store energy, but I don't understand why one would be needed for this application since the lights turn off immediately after the voltage is removed. I also don't understand what the diodes would be for since there are 16 light emitting diodes already there.

I haven't yet started to adapt them into my original tail lights, but i imagine that I will have to alter them somewhat.

Here is what they look like.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

actually those are mini halogens from the looks of them and I cant answer your other questions. But they do look like mini halogens
Old 09-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Also if they were LEDs I believe the circuit board where they mounted would have a D instead of an L printed on it D1 D2 etc, diode 1 diode 2 etc. I see L 1 , L2
like light 1 light 2 etc.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Steel Dreams

Last photo:

diodes are there to prevent fraying the whole thing if it was hooked up backwards, as to the capacitors the only reason I can think of is to provide filtering of the DC but that does not really make any sense to me .....with all of the diodes there any AC voltage would be rectified any way.....
my thoughts.........
Kenny
also those look like surface mount super brights LEDS......
Old 09-26-2010, 04:51 PM

Last photo:

Its possible that the diodes and capacitor provides "surge suppression" to protect the LEDs. Inductive loads like relays, motors, solenoids, and starters can produce high voltages at the moment they are de-energized. As the magnetic field in them collapses, a relatively high voltage can be present across their terminals. I'm guessing that those additional components may provide protection from those stray voltages. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will chime in here.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:10 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

sounds to me like you are on the right track. Momma allways said" if it sounds like it makes sense then its probably true" .
Old 09-26-2010, 05:55 PM
Steel Dreams

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy48
Its possible that the diodes and capacitor provides "surge suppression" to protect the LEDs. Inductive loads like relays, motors, solenoids, and starters can produce high voltages at the moment they are de-energized. As the magnetic field in them collapses, a relatively high voltage can be present across their terminals. I'm guessing that those additional components may provide protection from those stray voltages. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will chime in here.
What Oldguy says.....makes sense ......as mag field collapses can also produce oscillations that "bounce"across direct current paths....I seam to remember something along those lines, been too long since I worked with that stuff .....dang CRS
Kenny
Old 09-26-2010, 07:34 PM

Last photo:

So whatever is there needs to be there when I'm finished. Hopefully I don't need to alter much anyway, but my plan is to have two of these things per side. One will be for running lights and the other will be for brake/turn lights. I'm still not sure what I'm going to need to keep them from flashing too fast with the turn signals on. Hopefully nothing more than a couple of resistors.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:41 PM

Last photo:

Led

Hey PreTuner, Its likely that the board is set up in a three series-parallel circuit. This way if one LED goes out, you don't lose the entire light. Its probably the center six LED's in series and then the outside left and right in series of five. The diodes providing reverse bias protection and some voltage drop(the LED's are low voltage, low current) with the remaining voltage drop necessary done with the resistors. The center six LED circuit resistor would be of a slightly different value the the left/right five LED circuit resistor. The capacitor is for filtering the circuit from transient voltage fluctuations. If you would flip the board over and take more good photos, then we could probably blow it up and look at the circuit tracing and draw a schematic to verify. Hope this helps. olnolan
Old 09-26-2010, 07:57 PM

Last photo:

That sounds good. Here is the photo:

Old 09-26-2010, 09:29 PM

Last photo:

Sorry

Man, I looked at it until I strained my eyes and got a headache. Sorry, I can't figure it out from the photo to draw a schematic. If I had it in my hand it would be alot easier. Perhaps others here with better vision could do it. olnolan
Old 09-27-2010, 07:16 AM
Last photo:

Some diodes have a cutoff voltage and will not pass current past a certain set point.

Vince
Old 09-27-2010, 07:51 AM

Last photo:

Circuit

Ok, I looked at it again on coffee instead of beer. I think the resistors are in series to provide the voltage drop(r1+r2+r3), the LED's are grouped 4 in series times 4 parallel for a total of 16. Capacitor for filter and diodes for reverse bias protection. Wish DocVette was still with us, he made electronics circuits like childs play. olnolan
Old 09-27-2010, 10:17 AM

Last photo:

My 2 cents: I'm betting the cap is nano or picofarad? My guess is it's only a debounce cap. When the brake switch or relay (blinker) goes on it actually bounces many times in a split second which can cause a flicker or unwanted "on and offs" at the led. Saves the LEDs from too much wear. Cap has to be small for speed, a big cap won't be able to filter the bounce fast enough

diodes are for spike protection. Led lights are self protected against reverse hookups because they're diodes. They won't turn on if they're backwards but won't fry.

Parallel circuits allow 1 row to break and the rest still function. If the designers weren't so cheap they could have put a cap across each led which would allow 1 individual led to burn out (the cap would become a short) and all the LEDs would still function minus the burnt one

what car were these from? How long are they

Just my guesses
Old 09-27-2010, 08:53 PM

Last photo:

Great info, thanks guys.

These lights are actually from a Kia (Spectra I think). There were 4 totalled at the junk yard so I grabbed the lights since I wanted them to match. They are about 9" long.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.