Teenage 377 Build for '72 SS - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2008, 12:10 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Teenage 377 Build for '72 SS

Ok, I'm fairly new here on the site. I've been around for a while reading, trying to learn as much as possible. Being that I'm only 19 years old my funds and knowledge is fairly limited. I have always been into older cars, never could get into the ricer scene. I have had my Chevelle since I was about 9 years old, and while it runs good and looks good I have decided that it is time to have a bit of fun with the car. A couple months ago I decided to begin working on a new motor. Here are the specs.

Block: 400 sbc, .030., zero decked, plate honed, main girdle, all the goodies.

Crank: 3.48 stoke forged 4130 scat crank

Rods: Eagle 6'' forged I beams

Pistons: Keith Black forged 9:1 flat tops, massive valve reliefs (not sure on exacts) the thin 377 ones

Heads: For now 462 cast double humps, ferrea valves 2.02/1.6, comp valve springs matched to cam, arp screw in studs, comp gold 1.6 rockers, full porting, 62cc combustion chambers; eventually will replace with a set of afr's or dart pro 1s

Cam: Comp 4/7 firing swap solid flat tappet. .520/.540 lift, 244/252 duration, 110 lobe sep, plasma nitride deal. using lifter pn 813-16

Carb: Used Barry Grant mighty demon 850. I rebuilt the carb, powder coated it, and a good friend of mine from the machine shop is going to help me tune it to the car.

Nitrous works fogger plate kit, jets for 100-300 shot. Prob wont spray for a while, but a 150-200 shot when I do. Everyone at Hi Tech says the motor will love a little N2O, but i'm going to be fairly conservative.

Also have the comp recommended pushrods, stud girdle, the best bearings and gaskets that my machine shop could get, and a old set of hooker headers that I refinished.

That is all I have right now, I'm working this a piece at a time. The motor will be done by feb 1st. Future parts include:

Weiland Team G high rise single plane intake

Summit/Melling oil pan and pump combo

MSD pro billit distributor and full MSD ignition system

Transpro Dual Core Alum Rad

TCI 3500 stall torque converter

Desktop Dyno shows me a 519hp at 7000 rpm and 510 ft/lbs at 4000 rpm with an 11.14:1 comp ratio with the 462s. This is a street car, but wont be driven very often and will see moderate track use. I am working 2 jobs, one at Autozone where I am a part time manager and at Hi Tech, the machine shop helping with the build.

This project is my baby, I am putting my life into it. I am even using my part of it for my school projects (precision machine major). Sorry about the rant, I am just very excited about my build and I'm getting very close to final assembly. I love doing buildups like this, and since starting this motor it has given me a chance to turn it into a career. Working with my shop has got my name out to some of the big wigs in this area.

Again sorry about the rant, please give all info you can for me. Good or Bad, any help would be appreciated. I am all about info and the small details, I have read every tech article I can and applied as much as I possibly could.

Thanks in advance, Brad

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2008, 01:36 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Well, I'm sure you've already heard this, but better heads would really help that engine shine. A narrower LSA would help those stocker eahds, but with the AFR's or Dart's the 110 would be about right. Overall it looks like a great combo.

Oh, and your compression looks a little high for those heads- maybe not pump gas compatible- again AFR's would help you in that dept.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:45 PM

Nice build. I considered a 377 for mine, they are high revving engines, should be fun.

If the heads do become an issue and budget is a problem, the Brodix IKs are great heads for under $1000. Probably the best budget head made. You can save yourself $500.

I have the Pro1s, so I'm biased.

Last edited by Jsup; 12-15-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:40 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

No offense, but I certainly hope you know how to drive and handle this much power at the level you speak of building. I would have a roll cage installed along with a 5 point seat belt. I only say this because safety comes first, and it`s hard to enjoy your chevelle dead or in a wheel chair.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:02 PM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 51

I'm guessin you are getting machine work done cheap. Lucky you.

Hopefully all works out good.

Just wondering why you went with the 4/7 swap

I mean I hear some guys say they make more power, some guys say they don't. Either way it isn't much and I always considered it not worth doing on a street car where a few HP isn't going to be that big of a deal.

Just curious?
Old 12-15-2008, 04:27 PM

Hey, btw....

A good friend of mine started out just like you. He went to college and studied to be an areonautical engineer, he designed military aircraft. He lives in Iowa and now makes his living building $50-70,000 sprint car motors, as well as street builds. He's worked with guys like Sonny Lenard.

Stick with it, you can be doing the same soon. He's int he national guard till April. If you want to talk to him when he gets back, let me know. He's a great builder, brilliant guy, and may be able to help you out if this is something you want to do full time.

Good luck with the build.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:22 PM

Funds fairly limited huh? Damn, I'd like to have the amount you called 'limited'. Eitherway, looks mad cool. I dig the 4-7 swap. I don't know if you'll want the giggle gas right off the bat because that thing should get it on. Defenitely get some heads- unless those 462's have had a good hand porting them. A good set of heads will make that thing shine.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:03 PM

Last photo:

The limited funds comes from the fact that well, I have to save to but what I need. I started this build in July, and I'm just now getting the long block together. U know, buy cam one week, next paycheck get the block bored. Had to save 4 weeks to buy the pistons. U know how it goes. As for cheap machine work.... I do all the shop dirty work to pay for what machining I don't feel comfortable doing myself. I have a good relationship with the shop owner (he used to race with my dad) therefore its like i'm his apprentice.

I went with the 4/7 swap due to the harmonics benefits. Since I build peak power around 7000 rpm, my shift point should be about 7200 with my rev limiter set at 7500. Even though I spent hours perfecting the balance job and plan on buying the best dampener I can afford there is still going to be that chance of damaging vibrations. I've talked to a few people who have run those cams, and they firmly believe that it can help save a high revving motor, and well longevity is the key. Whats the point of having power, if you always break something.

And don't worry double vision, i'm no stranger to a fast car. I have been racing since I was 11 in jr dragsters, then I moved up to my dad's big block powered '51 chevy pickup (guessing over 600 hp, no pump gas 50/50 mix) which I also drove on the street for special occasions. And I can hold my Dad's new toy between the lines. Its a '49 F1 roadster powered by a stout 355, around 450hp. 3 People can actually lift the *** end of this thing off the ground, and with .373 posi things can get a little sketchy. Also since a good friend of mine was killed street racing when we were 17 I've slowed down a lot, except for at the track. And the cage should be finished by the end of the week.

BTW, the 462s have hours of quality hand port time. They are as smooth as possible, every edge cut down, basically on par with a World Sportsman 2. Exhaust side and combustion chambers polished to a mirror finish, and I left a bead blasted finish on the intake to help with fuel atomization.

Last edited by Jackson72ss; 12-15-2008 at 08:09 PM. Reason: heads
Old 12-15-2008, 10:25 PM

I hear you on the savings... I remember those days... (don't take any offense to my next statement- it's just what I did) living with mom and dad, no bills except car insurance and gas (cell phones weren't really on the 'scene' in 98) so every cent I earned went to the bottomless 'engine fund'. I had my eye on a set of the 'newly released' GMPP FastBurn heads. Never got to buy them- college came.

Anywho, enjoy it while you can before mortgages and kids and etc,etc,etc...comes along.

4/7 swap, yes and supposedly some cylinders get more fuel since the carb/piston signal is better. BUT this can be argued like rod ratio- If I were you, I would have bought the same cam (maybe bigger though - shifting at 7,500 gonna take some duration for that 406)

As long as your machine work is good and you have a good balancer I wouldn't worry about bad harmonics and besides it's V-8- your gonna have that.

Hell leave the 462's on there then- I assume the dude porting them knew what was going on since your work at a quasi- race automotive machine shop.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:05 PM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 51

I never really knew there was that much advantage to the harmonics of the 4/7 swap.

Fair Enough
Old 12-16-2008, 05:46 PM

Last photo:

I think at 7500rpm he will have way more problems then harmonics.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:31 PM
Old'n'young

*********************** I have a 302 im buliding up and only have old power pack heads to work with, compression is atleast 13:1 i need to get a better combo

Last edited by powerrodsmike; 12-18-2008 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Other.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:22 PM

Last photo:

Whats the problem with 7500 in a 377?As long as the valve train is up to it his build looks plenty capable of that.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:29 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Well there is the issue of the block cracking... but other tahn that it looks fine. 7500 RPM is a lot to ask fo a stock 400 block. And I know people go over it all the time, but people also break them all the time.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
Well there is the issue of the block cracking... but other tahn that it looks fine. 7500 RPM is a lot to ask fo a stock 400 block. And I know people go over it all the time, but people also break them all the time.
Many of the sprint car (or is it dirt track I can't remember) motors my friend builds use stock 400 blocks, and run 8000 RPMs fairly consistently and fairly reliably ,it's typically not the block that gives out.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.