TEKZ HLVP guns ?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2007, 10:26 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

TEKZ HLVP guns ??

Hi guys! I didn't know if I should ask this here or in tools, but anyway! My local supplier has a deal on cheap spray guns and I was thinking about getting a set just to have as a back up! What do you guys think about this?The set of three guns: A 1 qt. with a 1.7 tip a 1 qt. with a 1.4 tip and a touch up gun with a 1.0 tip. also inthis kit is a 6'' palm sander and what looks like a diaphram regulator and cleaning kit and case for $ 99.94 It almost sounds to good to be true so it probably is. The only thing that is drawing me to the kit is that they are all HLVP guns and I don't have a touch up gun in hlvp. I've never heard of this brand before! Has anyone used them?? I need your opinions give me the "Good the Bad and the Ugly!! Thanks P.S. If one of the moderators sees this and thinks it should go in tools could you help me out and move it over there, If I try to I'll just mess it up. Thanks again

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2007, 11:33 AM
Last photo:

These are no doubt Chinese imports that are marketed under a myriad of brand names. Quality ranges from fairly good to dismal. It is a ^%ap shoot as to what you get. Sorry, but that is the only information I can offer as I have no experience with these sets.

Vince
Old 10-20-2007, 10:45 AM

Last photo:

have a set

got the same set about a year ago from the toolwarehouse.net for around 60 bucks they work good the primer gun is fine was worth it in my opion
Old 10-20-2007, 11:34 AM
FREE TRAMAMPOLINE!!!

Last photo:

As an old sprayer I can say that you can get away with cheap guns for primer but a semi decent gun for top coats is a must. Im not talking guns for $600-700 but a fully adjustable gun with a known parts follow up is a must. Only when you have a few cars under your belt and you are confident with most guns can you 'get away' with a cheapy.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:34 PM

Last photo:

for my top coats i only use a sata jet
Old 10-21-2007, 01:46 AM
FREE TRAMAMPOLINE!!!

Last photo:

Sata are very nice guns.

I have a Mini Jet and its the best touch up gun I have.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:12 AM
Last photo:

I do not dispute that Sata is a fine gun, but this person is obviously asking about cheap spray guns. My experience with the Harbor Freight 43430 HVLP gun is well documented in the tread link in my sig. I achieved sterling results with the HF 43430 gun, just a FWIW.

Vince
Old 10-21-2007, 09:36 AM

TEKZ HLVP guns

Thanks guys! The plan for this set was just to use them for prime. I have a sharp finex 300 with a 1.3 tip I want to keep clean for top coats and I've been having some trouble spraying epoxy with it. I'am not reducing as per the instructions and its like spraying concrete! 2k primer is a little better, but not much. Vince is right I know a sata or Iwata is a world ahead better, but its not in the budget right now. I also have a kolbalt conventional gavity jam gun that falls apart as I'am using it and can't get it to atomize the way it should I get better results with my old Binks. I want to switch over to HLVP for every thing.I'am open to suggestions. I just never heard of this brand of gun. Maby I should be asking if there are decent cheap guns and what to look for. I hate to sound like a cheap skate when it comes to tools, but right now I have to scrimp here to splurge there,( You guys know what I mean). Thanks
Old 10-21-2007, 11:01 AM
Last photo:

My experience with the HF 43430 gun with clear is I had to jack up the air pressure at the gun to about 45-50psi in order to get the clear to properly atomize. The gun sprays 2K primer very well with little to no orange peel. You might try a little higher air pressure with your primers and see what happens.

Vince
Old 10-22-2007, 12:29 AM

TEKZ guns

Vince, funny you should say 45-50 psi for prime, because that just how high my pressure was at before my 2k smoothed out with the finex 300 1.3 I'am using. I thought I was doing somthing wrong! I probably still am ,but I just don't know it.Anyway this is my first HVLP and I'am still trying to get a feel for it. It works good as long as the pressure is alot higher than the 8-10 psi the manual calls for. Dosn't this defeat the HVLP idea!! I shot laquer at 35 psi and old enamels at 45 psi never any higher ''didn't need to!''. I think I'am set up right with this gun, Plenty of air, true 3/8'' line with 3/8 fittings to the gun with a diaphram reg at the gun. And still this thing won't shoot any thing at 8-10 psi. Also I looked at that HF 43430, '' looks good'', but I want to read what you said about it in your sig, but I don't know what a sig is or how to get there. These TEKZ guns look close to the same only with metal, ( notice I didn't say stainless) cups with the tupperware style tops ''Ahh!! true craftsmanship''
Old 10-22-2007, 06:29 AM
Last photo:

This is a common misconception with HVLP guns. The 8 to 10psi figure quoted is supposed to be at the air cap, not 8 to 10psi supply at the gun. The internal regulator in the HVVLP gun is supposed to regulate to 10psi at the air cap.

Vince

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.