Temp gauge moving when other switches hit. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2009, 03:53 AM

Last journal entry: Long time no journal entry, pulled hood tonight.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Temp gauge moving when other switches hit.

I just got a battery for my caddy today, so it is the first time I got it cranking and was able to take a look at some of the electrical issues. The temp gauge, really more of an idiot gauge than a real gauge, will shoot the needle to one end of the gauge when I hit the power seat switch. The seat doesn't move, but that is not a huge concern right now. I don't know enough about electrical systems, but I figure somebody here should know what is wrong. I was smart enough to not leave the battery connected while it sits till I get this all figured out.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2009, 08:41 AM

If you get a reading when you hit the switch, it usually means the gauge cluster is not grounded properly and its finding a ground through the seat switch. However, since its reading full scale when it has power, that also means the wire to the sending unit on the engine is probably grounded.

First look for an instrument panel ground wire up under the dash. Its probably connected to the emergency brake bracket, or some other bolt that is grounded to the frame.

Bruce
Old 11-15-2009, 09:43 AM

Last journal entry: Long time no journal entry, pulled hood tonight.
Last photo:

Thanks, I will take a look when I get a chance, I figured it was a ground but was not sure. The oil light is also on, but it is full on oil so something is hinky in the grounds(don't know for sure about pressure, have not had it running very long). I figure the fuse panel is screwed up and not grounded right, if it has a common ground. Electrical is one area where I am not real experienced and this car probably has several issues with the electrical system.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:49 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

Check for blown fuses. There are a lot of electrical items in those cars and they are very prone to back feeds. I have seen some real weird stuff. In your case I would concentrate on the seat issue. Check all power feeds and all grounds for the seat. I would be willing to bet when you find the seat issue the gauge issue will go away.

Chet

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.