Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Temp. Spray Booth didn't work very well
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2004, 07:31 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Temp. Spray Booth didn't work very well

Anyone contemplating using a temporary spray booth like the one pictured in my gallery should be aware of some problems I encountered. Note the air filters in one end and the blower in the other. The blower capacity changes the air in the booth about every 2 1/2 minutes. All primers were sprayed outside the booth and no problems were encountered. On the first day of applying PPG Base coat, 6:30 am, air temp 60 deg, reducer DT870, humidity 60%, clear skies. First three coats on small parts went on well, by now it's 8:30 and suns up brightly. Air temp in the booth about 70, all should be going well at this point but the UV penetrating the the sides and top of the booth have the body parts heated to at least 90 deg. Dry spray now a real problem, changed to DT895, made very little difference. Stopped painting for the day, dry spray now a repair issue. The remainder of the project was painted including the clear coat, between 3:00 am and 6:00 am. As soon as daylight appeared, the temp in the booth began climbing, painting stopped for the day.

My next painting project will heve the booth constructed inside my garage, or if outside will have some type of structure built over the plastic covering to sheild from the UV. Consider this: all paint manufactures Tech Sheets assume professional paint booth with controled environment and consistent air temps. I was amazed by the effect of the UV, cool air doesn't mean cool body parts.

Hope this helps anyone considering this type of spray booth.

Jim