Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Temp. Spray Booth didn't work very well
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2004, 02:57 PM
suck, squeeze, bang, blow

Last journal entry: finally reeled it in
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

So my brother calls me the other night. He says that the paint he has is no good because he can't get anything but dry spray. I ask him what temp. reducer he's using? He says 60 degrees. I ask him what's the temp of the booth? He says 85...

Temp and humidity is a HUGE concern when painting. It's probably better not to use a booth and just paint somewhere where there is no direct sunlight and constant temp/humidity. You probably would have been better off painting at night and putting a small heater after painting just in case the temp drops. (safety concerns with flamable vapours)

If I'm painting something special, or just want it to look nice, it doesn't see daylight for at least a week. Automotive paint takes about 30 days to fully cure, at least that's what the reps said. I believe it. Notice how you can smell solvents for about a month after you paint it, and longer if the car body really heats up? Solvents are evaporating for all that time, and if the vapor can't escape faster than the upper layer will allow it to...orange peel.

I shot a car once and thought that I could force dry it by letting it sit in the sun. (about four hours after painting it) After about eight hours it was orange peeled, where it was a mirror when I put it out. The side of the car that was shaded wasn't bad but the hood, roof, trunk, and the other side was just like Florida goodness. It calmed down a little bit after it cooled, but wow, what a learning experience.