temperature - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2010, 03:49 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

temperature

Alright guys one of these days im gonna get all the bugs worked out of this engine, but i doubt its gonna be today. my new mountain is the temperature, nothing bad really. The deal is i just installed the ac on the new motor. its a 350 block with 60 cc double hump heads. Im running a comp cams 268. So it has a somewhat rough idle but not bad at all at 500 in gear. Im running a 180 thermostat, stock fan and stock single core radiator. Never had a problem with temp before. But with the ac on sitting at idle for more than ten minutes my temp climbs up to two hundred. Didn't raise any higher, but i didn't really give it time to. Once driving and getting air flow it was back down to 180. If this was a regular car that came into my shop for this problem i would put a water pump and thermostat on if it wasnt something obvious. But i wanted some second opions on this, maybe its the rough idle and the load of the ac causing it to warm up? do i need a bigger radiator, better fan? or is it just a classic case of chevy water pump wearing out? thanks for the help as always.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2010, 04:48 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

I"m not sure what part of TX your in, but outside temps around Austin have been in the 90's. I'm curious how hot it would have gotten.

Do you have a full shroud? Did you add headers to raise under hood temps? Not many performance engines like to idle for extended periods, I know my blower motor was OK with two puller fans, but it warmed up too. In Alaska it never got over 185, down here it was steady 200 to 215, with dual SPAL fans (pullers), driving, not idling, and that was with a huge BeCool custom radiator and new Weiand high flow water pump.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 09-19-2010, 04:53 PM

Last photo:

ya i have a full shroud and temps today were in the 90s i would say. im thinking of maybe trying a 160 thermostat? and yes i did add headers but with the old motor it was running at 180 with ac on. although this engine is higher compression and it has the cam in it. So i figured that would cause it to run a little hotter all together. Basically im thinking of a new water pump and if that doesnt do it maybe try some header wrap and go from there? but i dunno really

Last edited by zoomo; 09-19-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:26 PM

i would go with the 160 thermostat and with the high volume pump. you can go ahead with the header wrap. might want to invest in a two row aluminum radiator with the large tubes so it acts like a three row, and put the royal purple ice in there when you start to fill it.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:56 PM

Last photo:

guys...a high flow water pump isnt the fix. He said he was running a stock single core radiator! Put a two core alluminum radiator in that baby, and you will have trouble getting it warmed up! Try speedway motors for one, I got one from them and it only set me back 120 bucks!
Old 09-19-2010, 05:58 PM

Last photo:

and...if the temp climbs up to 200, how will a 160 thermostat fix anything? Yeah, it will open at 160, but the temp will still climb up to 200.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:59 PM

Last photo:

heat

You have more heat now that you pumped up the motor, so now the water is hotter and the radiator is not holding the water long enough to cool it, I don't think putting a 160 thermostat and high volume pump will help. I think it will open up sooner and push the coolant through faster,it will act just like a pipe with the coolant going around and nothing to cool it. I think I wout go for a bigger Rad. because it sounds like you have done everything else.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:00 PM

Last photo:

thats what i was wondering about the thermostat, but thats what everyone is telling me. A double row radiator would make a lot of sense. im going to have to check into that
Old 09-19-2010, 06:29 PM

Last photo:

heat

When I went to auto school many years ago, we rebuilt an engine, and it ran hot, we were going to put a 160 thermostat in it and the teacher said think about your problem for a second ,your motors hot which means the coolant is not cooling, or staying in the Rad. long enough, now why in the world would you want to put a thermostat in it that would open sooner and let the only thing you have to really cool the coolant go through it faster and not give it a chance to cool. I have seen a lot of guys jump at the 160 thermostat as the first thing to try and cool a motor. Most of the time on street rods guys don't put a shroud on it, but you did that, a lot of guys put the fan high when the cooling takes place at the bottom, but I think you said you had two fans, so I would guess one was low on the Rad. To me an Alum. Rad. two row would work. Pick up the phone and call someone that makes them or sells them, see what they say.

Later 35terraplane

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.