Temperature range for painting Blitz Black? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2010, 11:43 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Temperature range for painting Blitz Black?

Does anyone know what the working temperature range is for painting with the notorious John Deere Blitz Black? Have read the 29 page thread, the wiki article, numerous other articles, gone to the Valspar web site, and asked the folks at the tractor supply store, but still haven't found the answer.

Have already started sanding and prepping the car, and hopefully will be done this weekend... but looking at the extended forecasts, I'll be lucky if it goes over 68 degrees here in Pittsburgh by the end of the year. In a race against the weather here. The plan is to spray the Mustang in the driveway, then roll it into an unheated garage to dry. Which leads to the next question of what is a good temperature for this paint to cure?

Also so far my plan for the paint ratio from reading is 8 parts JDBB: 1 part mineral spirits: 1 part hardener. If anyone has any suggestions on a better thinner/reducer for cooler weather, would very much appreciate.
Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2010, 06:04 AM

Last journal entry: 50 Ply wagon
Last photo:

Most all paints need anywhere from 65-70 degF to allow the paint to bond. The biggets thing is metal temps.......if the body is cold the paint wont stick . The body needs to be the same as the air temp to bond correctly. Best bet is warm up the garage and paint it in there.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:56 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

you would be much better off using a single stage black urethane with flattening agent. and no paint will work under 70 very well. if metal temp dips to 55 as it will at night you are going to have a host of problems.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:21 PM
Official Solventologist

Yeah, a urethane hot rod black like the ones these guys sell or the SEM Hot Rod Black is a better way to go than an enamel.

Hot Rod Black Kit

It is only slightly more money for the urethane kit and it will look nice longer. When you put that much work into the prep and painting it is worth a few extra dollars for a urethane product.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:30 PM

Thanks guys. You have me thinking.
Really my number one reason for going Blitz is the cool look of the satin finish; the second reason was the price... third it needs painted, plain and simple. But now that I'm way in debt payin off a war with the ex-wife, price *has* to be an option for me. This mustang project is my way of snubbin my nose at my new poverty by restoring the stang on a tight budget.

But after I researched prices from the suggestions you guys posted, the price difference between Blitz and the single stage urethane is negligible. After buying the paint, the thinner and the hardener, the Blitz is right around $100. The urethane kits are between $100-150. So thanks again for your input. The horizon is broadening on options here. I found a Rat Rod Black Paint Kit from Eastwood here in PA thats just over $100. Is there much difference in brands out there? Not meaning to sound ignorant, but is there really a noticeable difference between the Blitz and the urethane?

But really the next big question is which paint would be more forgiving of an amateur painter shooting his first car in the driveway?

Wakin early tomorrow to start the prep sanding...
Thanks again.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:49 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

U may want to go with the urethane as I have heard that painting over JDBB at a later time with another paint may be problematic.
I used rattle can BB and had no problems. My 1st car painted. It shows it up close. No runs though. My plan was to paint it shiney later. Now, may have to sand off the BB ?
Old 10-22-2010, 10:25 PM
Official Solventologist

In most all cases (see below for your case) the urethane kits are they way to go in my opinion. The Eastwood product is Kirker re-labeled as I understand it. The Eastwood kit is a 3/4 filled gallon with a quart of activator so you get a gallon of sprayable material. The SEM and KemFx Hot Rod Black are full gallons of paint with a quart of activator AND a quart of reducer so you end up with 50% more material with those brands. So, the SEM or KemFx Hot Rod Black sounds like the better deal if it is less than $150.

On the safety side if you are spraying in open air you would be exposing your neighbors to isocyanates which are really harmful when the proper respirator is not used. In that case the blitz black w/o the hardener (not sure if they require it or not) would be the most responsible choice.

Good luck!
Old 10-22-2010, 11:22 PM

Thanks again. Still on the fence on which paint... but you've given me some good considerations, especially on the safety concerns. Not just the neighbors to worry about, but my daughter has been a part of this project from the start and wants to be around for the painting. Today I called an old friend I knew from high school that works in a shop. Might be a chance I can get it painted in a pro booth. If that comes through I'll go with a urethane. But if not, and we end up in the driveway I'll go with the Blitz.

Sanded the whole car today with 400 grit. Have a couple waves on the rear quarter to glaze over, a couple small spots of peeled clear coat to get off, then re-sand the whole car in 600. Any and all suggestions welcome.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:13 AM

Last photo:

Blitz black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddoo X
Thanks again. Still on the fence on which paint... but you've given me some good considerations, especially on the safety concerns. Not just the neighbors to worry about, but my daughter has been a part of this project from the start and wants to be around for the painting. Today I called an old friend I knew from high school that works in a shop. Might be a chance I can get it painted in a pro booth. If that comes through I'll go with a urethane. But if not, and we end up in the driveway I'll go with the Blitz.

Sanded the whole car today with 400 grit. Have a couple waves on the rear quarter to glaze over, a couple small spots of peeled clear coat to get off, then re-sand the whole car in 600. Any and all suggestions welcome.
I have BB on my 46 Ford Coupe, I got the car the way it is, so I can't tell you how to mix it. I will tell you it does look nice when it is clean or dusty, But if someone puts any part of their skin on it, it just grabs the body oil, you can't just take a rag and wipe it off, you have to wash it off. otherwise it's nice, mine could have been sprayed better, or it might be the paint, but at different angels it looks like it has dents were there are none.

35 terraplane

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.