Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Temperature Sensor Posts (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/temperature-sensor-posts-193244.html)

Sleezie 02-23-2011 09:23 PM

Temperature Sensor Posts

Got a new engine temperature sensor for my 1956 6 cylinder engine and see that it has two posts on it. I have one wire, which I assume, comes from the dash unit. What's the other post for? One to put a ground wire on?

68NovaSS 02-23-2011 09:33 PM

The sender should be grounded in the block. Any chance it's for an electric fan? Who makes the sender unit?

Sleezie 02-24-2011 12:49 PM

Temperature Sensor

Teamco makes the sensor and the box says it's a unit that fits the Thunderbird 1956 Ford T10884B. Councours Auto Parts out of Nevada that sells old Ford parts says it fits the '56 Fords. Was the only year that had this sensor. '55's and '57's by their listings are different. That's evidently why the price is so high and they'er hard to find. Like I said the '57 is about less than $18 depending who you buy it from.

cobalt327 02-24-2011 01:20 PM

Any chance the 'extra' wire might have been used to interrupt OD until the engine was up to temp?

Bryan59EC 02-24-2011 01:41 PM

Perhaps one of the posts is for a "COLD" lamp and the other is for a "HOT"
lamp.

GM and Chrysler used similar senders in the 60s

Sleezie 02-25-2011 10:25 PM

Sensor

Guys....darned if I know what it's for other than maybe another additional part that may have been added during those years to various Ford cars carrying the 223 6 cylinder engine. Also, ever try and find a split manifold for one of these doozies? Probably easier to tear the engine out and replace it with a 302 dual exhaust.....
Color me EXHAUSTED!!!!!!

001mustang 02-25-2011 11:07 PM

temp sensors i know of:

one post: threads are ground and post is sensor out put.

two post floating ground: one post to ground and other sensor out put. some old cars used this.

two post modern: threads= ground . one post = idiot light switch output. other post = resistance to ground output signal to gauge.

Sleezie 03-05-2011 09:21 PM

1956 Ford Temperature Sensor

OK....have done a lot of research on this and have found what may be the correct answer to the "two post" problem. The article I read said that for that year of sensor it had two posts because it could be used for the Ford V-8 that had another sensor on the other side of the block. This other sensor wire ran back to the main one that went to the dash gauge. Sounds kinda hinkie to me but it's the best explanation I've heard....BUT....I never heard of an engine that required two sensors either? So....anybody else want to take a shot at this? I'm just running the one wire and probably could have used a '56 or '57 sensor at a third of the price. :rolleyes:

001mustang 03-05-2011 09:30 PM

i would never dreamed of that setup in a million years.

please keep us posted.

if i had that 2 post i would measure resistance to ground at low and high temp of both posts just out of curiosity.